Need GMA900 fix after 10.4.8 update

LaminarFlow

10 posts in this topic

Okay, I ran the latest 10.4.8 updater from JaS over JaS's 10.4.6 DVD. I tried running the 10.4.6 GMA900 package after that, but Pacifist wasn't working right, so I went ahead and rebooted to a blocky screen. I was able to do the r2d2 fix from with the Terminal while booted off of the install DVD, but I need to install the GMA package. The only ways I see to do that are:

-From within the DVD installer, which also forces me to install the 10.4.6 base system, which borked my system last time

-From the terminal while booted from the DVD (is there a terminal command to install a package?)

-After booting with the '-x' option

The mostly likely success would be with the -x option, except I can't figure out how to insert that option. I can't edit the Boot.plist from within the Terminal while booted from the DVD because I can't find a working text editor (nano, pico, etc)

What the heck do I do?

Okay, I ran the latest 10.4.8 updater from JaS over JaS's 10.4.6 DVD. I tried running the 10.4.6 GMA900 package after that, but Pacifist wasn't working right, so I went ahead and rebooted to a blocky screen. I was able to do the r2d2 fix from with the Terminal while booted off of the install DVD, but I need to install the GMA package. The only ways I see to do that are:

-From within the DVD installer, which also forces me to install the 10.4.6 base system, which borked my system last time

-From the terminal while booted from the DVD (is there a terminal command to install a package?)

-After booting with the '-x' option

The mostly likely success would be with the -x option, except I can't figure out how to insert that option. I can't edit the Boot.plist from within the Terminal while booted from the DVD because I can't find a working text editor (nano, pico, etc)

What the heck do I do?

Gossamer, right before Darwin starts to boot, start pressing the F8 key. That will take you to a prompt and you can then enter the -x option.

Okay, I was able to get the -x option in, and I actually saw the progress bar, but when it completed, it went to a black screen with a little white rectangle in the top left corner...I'm stumped, and I need files on this computer to study for my test tomorrow morning...ahh!

Boot the install DVD and go to Terminal in the Utilities menu.

Type:

ls -l /System/Installation/Packages	 <-- this lists all the pkgs in that directory

Look for the GMA900 package, highlight it's entire name (including .pkg) with the cursor and copy it

Type:

cp /System/Installation/Packages/(paste-name-of-GMA-pkg) /Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)/900.pkg

(above command copies the GMA pkg from DVD to OSX partition and renames it 900.pkg)

Do not use parentheses.

Note: if the name of your OSX partition has spaces, you need to put a backslash (\) before each space: "Mac OS X" becomes Mac\ OS\ X

Remove the DVD and reboot to single-user mode. At boot, hit F8 and type -s.

At the resulting command line, type:

mount -uw /									 <-- mounts the file system
installer -pkg /900.pkg -target /			   <-- installs the GMA900 to your OSX partition
rm -rf /900.pkg								 <-- removes the 900.pkg we copied
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext		 <-- deletes kext database
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache	 <-- deletes kext database
diskutil repairPermissions /					<-- repair permissions
reboot										  <-- guess

You probably won't see anything happening, just wait until the installation is over.

Okay, I ran into a couple problems with this.

First, I couldn't copy the package to my hard drive, it told me either that it wouldn't copy because it was a directory, or that my hard drive was write protected, depending on what command/use of slashes I used.

Then I realized that when I was updating to 10.4.8, I had already copied the GMA900 package to my desktop in preparation for this.

So I booted into single user mode and started the installation like you showed, but it just hung. I know that the package takes only a couple seconds to install when doing the full OS X install, but I let it sit there for about 20 minutes before giving up and rebooting.

I just went ahead and rm -r my Library and System folders and did a reinstall of 10.4.6. Once I get some time I'm going to repartition a separate system partition and finally get this 10.4.8 {censored} figured out. I can't wait til I can get my MacBook Pro...

I'm not sure if this is 100% related, BUT

I installed the .4.8 update over a .4.6 system

I have a GMA950 chipset, and have problems. I copied over just the kexts, gma*.kext from another running .4.6 distro to my new .4.8 system. I can get to login screen now, but then it crashes hard.... Spinning Pinwheel. I only have a .4.5/.4.6 JAS dvd. i never d/led the .4.7 Is there a way to get the 10.4.7.gma.support.pkg without d/ling the whole DVD image. Or am I now just missing a couple of kexts or frameworks. Help would be appreciated to anyone who can shed light on this.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this is 100% related, BUT

I installed the .4.8 update over a .4.6 system

I have a GMA950 chipset, and have problems. I copied over just the kexts, gma*.kext from another running .4.6 distro to my new .4.8 system. I can get to login screen now, but then it crashes hard.... Spinning Pinwheel. I only have a .4.5/.4.6 JAS dvd. i never d/led the .4.7 Is there a way to get the 10.4.7.gma.support.pkg without d/ling the whole DVD image. Or am I now just missing a couple of kexts or frameworks. Help would be appreciated to anyone who can shed light on this.

Thanks

If you can boot into a GUI using the '-x' flag, you should try reinstalling the entire GMA package. If not, try doing what RammJet suggested for me to do and do it from within the command line after starting up with '-s'

as the the -s option, this works to get to a command prompt

and the -x boot, works also and provides a gui, albeit in safe mode.

I guees my question is, can anyone pm me, or reply to me witha method to get the 10.4.7.gma.support.pkg

without downloading the entire ISO. Thanks

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, btw. I thought it was similar, and therefore there is a common problem. As for your idea with the .4.6 gma support package. I believe from what i have read that it differs from the one included in the .4.7 JAS dvd. If anyone could extract this portion or tell me where i can find it stand-alone, that would be awesome. And i have tried the .4.6 JAS GMA support, but i bleieve that is GMA900 only, and it didnt help anyway :) I also read that the JAS .4.7 installers with ANY GMA has to select the new support package.

Thanks...