tried to install vista rc2 on my comp

dark4181

20 posts in this topic

well, first off, since i didn't want to wipe out my current windows xp pro and all my files and settings, i created a second partition and formatted it (in windows xp) ... i ran a RC2 installer dvd through a usb dvd-r drive (since i dont have an internal) ...i set it to go on the empty second partition of "disc 0 partition 1- logical" ..."copy windows files" went fine, "expand files" went fine... first restart, got the "windows corporation" progress bar, got to around 90% and froze, then a few seconds later, i got the BSOD with the message "machine_check_exception"

so i ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, came back as no problems found. tried it again, same BSOD, same point in the process

according to the windows vista compatability advisor, my entire system is compatible, so i'm thinking it must be a problem with using a logical partition instead of a primary partition. the empty partition is formatted in NTFS through windows xp pro...

anyone have any ideas?

You should always install OSs to primary partitions, with the exception of Linux. I'm surprised Windows didn't say there were no drives that meet criteria. If you are overclocked, you should always set back to default. I have only had XP, not Vista do what you explain, and it was from too high of a overclock. All my Vista problems were before install, early builds had trouble with raid, and trouble with with drives to install to :P

yes, i figured it was because i was trying to install on a logical partition and not the primary.. although it did ask me where i wanted to install

all of my hardware is factory speed, btw. i don't overclock

oh well, i'll just wait for the true release

i'm told that "machine_check_exception" is a BSOD usually reserved for memory errors. i've run windows diagnostic tool in normal and advanced and it finds nothing

anyone know what else i could try?

Double check the settings in you bios and make sure everything looks good. Set your bios to default. Make sure to install to a primary partition, preferably the first one after XP. If that doesn't work, I would try and re-download or burn it again, maybe at a slower speed :lol:

Do you have the latest bios for your board?

It may be a little late but it should be an option in what ever your using to create it. You could delete all but the partitions your using for current OS's and let Vista create the drive for you :D If your in XP you could use Disk Management and it will ask if you want it to be primary.

actually i've been starting the install with xp, cuz i'm using a usb dvd burner.. i don't have an internal. and i can't get the burner to boot from dvd at startup.. the usbdvd option doesn't appear in my bios

i'm thinking it might be my ram. my comp fried back in july (multiple power losses due to lightning strikes led to mobo fried) i replaced the mobo and processor, but kept the same ram, hard drives, cd burner and graphics card. never had any problems with the old system, but after the rebuild (fresh XP install) i had all sorts of BSOD while under load. gradually the BSOD filtered out though, so i dunno

so maybe it's a problem with the ram or hard drives

:D i want a max :(

It might be :D I doubt its your drives, it is probably the ram. I have only been able to pull that screen when I have an overclock that windows cant handle. You should never of had BSOD on fresh install of XP. I have installed it literally hundreds of times on many machines and have never had call backs.

If after every thing in this thread is gone over and it dose not work, your S.O.L. :(