b0 error and can't find the patch

Damocles

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I managed to get the JaS 10.4.6 DVD and install it successfully. However, I've got the dreaded b0 error, and although I've searched, I can't figure out just what to do. The post I found makes reference to a patch for the DVD, but I can't for the life of me find it. Even Google has no luck! I've read about booting to linux using GParted and running fdisk, but I'm not too sure what to do. I have a Ubuntu CD as well.

I think I manged to get it to boot using the DVD, but I've broken my original disc. I don't want to make another if I can apply a patch that permanantly fixes the problem in case of a reinstall. Can anyone help?

Final thing, I have an onboard Via Fast Ethernet Adapter on my ASRock P4VT8+. It's not being recognised in Tiger (along with graphics and sound). Are there any drivers or quick fixes for the card? I have braodband through a router, so the NIC is my link to the world.

Thanks,

Damocles

Since I keep an XP box floating around I've found it easier to connect the OSX disk to running XP box (via USB, FireWire, or just placing it somewhere on an open IDE chain), open a command prompt and run 'diskpart'. You'll need interesting and (hardly) intuitive commands such as LIST, SELECT DISK, etc .. (It's documented out and about on the web how to mark a selected partition ACTIVE)

Good luck. Oh, and if you plan on doing this more than once, save yourself the trouble and have a boot disk ready .. I've had to do this twice myself :P

Using the Install DVD to Fix b0 error:

1.) Boot with install DVD, hit F8 to get the prompt.

2.) Type -s to start in single mode.

3.) When it boots to command prompt, type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (assuming you only have 1 hard drive. more then one, then /dev/rdisk1 etc..).

4.) You will get fdisk prompt. Type "print". If you don't see a * before a drive, then there is no partition set to active, and you won't boot.

5.) To set a partition to active, type: flag 1 (or whatever partition number it is).

Type quit to save changes and exit. Type reboot to reboot. Remove the DVD and boot into OSX.

You guys are geniuses/genii. noxdg, your solution worked brilliantly - my Macintel boots to 10.4.6 first time, every time. Now, I just need some drivers for my network and sound cards...

Thanks a lot, and keep up the fantastic work!

Damocles

Brilliant! I hadn't seen that version of the fix. I'll try that at my next opportunity (I've convinced a couple friends to try and build their own.)

Considering how often the b0 error comes up in the forums, it's probably worth a new topic that can be 'sticky' named 'Top 10 boot failures'.