Updating OS X on a VM

jmeg

1 post in this topic

Hello all.

I am new to these forums and Hackintoshes in general. I successfully installed OS X Snow Leopard using an official Snow Leopard install DVD I own and some other booting tools. I suppose I don't have an official Hackintosh in the sense that I run OS X from as a guest machine. If it helps, I use Oracle's VirtualBox. The VM runs perfectly fine. I used a combined update to update from the first version of Snow Leopard (available on the install disk) to the last/latest version of Snow Leopard.

So, with that being said, is it possible to update the operating system while my guest is running without having to change things around? I'd ideally like to be running OS X Yosemite. The Yosemite OS update is available from the App Store for free right now, but I'm a little hesitant to run it at the moment. I was reading somewhere that you should only update your Hackintosh with combined updates from Apple. Any truth to this? I sincerely apologize for my ignorance. As you can tell, I'm still learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)