Non-Destructive Partitioning

Adamantinus

8 posts in this topic

Here's the deal. I've got most of the steps involving installing OSX on my PC done. Got the JaS 10.4.7 image, and I'm all set. Except for one problem.

I had not counted on Disk Utility not being able to do non-destructive partitions. I have 15GB of free space, two other NTFS partitions, and a FAT32 partition on the same HDD. The NTFS and FAT32 partitions must remain intact, and I do not have space to back the data up.

Is there some way I can get around this? Can I get disk utility to format the free space as MacOS Extended (HFS+) in a way that does not damage my other partitions, or is there an application/way to do it in Windows XP SP2 somehow.

I can provide system specifications and any other information if required.

Use any Windows/Linux disk/partition utility to turn the free space into a real partition. Formatting it as FAT32 is frosting on the cake - it sometimes seems to help Disk Utility find partitions it wouldn't otherwise find.

Make sure the OSX partition is Primary (not logical/extended) - you are only allowed 4 primary partitions on a drive. The OSX partition should come before any logical/extended partitions on the drive. While in the utility, set the OSX partition "active" so it will boot after the installation and finish. Also, try to set the ID of the partition to "AF".

As posted above, the free space was made into a FAT32 partition using Partition Magic 8. That's when it gives me the error. It is primary, positioned only behind my primary NTFS XP partition.

Should I recreate the partition? As in, delete it, and format it as FAT32 again?

I don't like to bump, but I'm near the bottom of page 2.

I remade the FAT32 partiion under Windows (Deleted and recreated) and it gave me the same error. So under Windows, I formatted so it was an unformatted partition, went back to the install DVD, same partition map error.

I put it into the Wiki, it's an Apple thing. So I'm really lost. Would GParted give me different results than Partition Magic 8?

Another problem has cropped up. I tried GParted, it doesn't work on my hardware.

Athlon 3200+ Venice Core 939 (SSE2, SSE3)

Leadtek 6600GT PCI-e

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

2x 512MB Corsair VS RAM

Samsung SATAII NCQ 16mb cache 7200rpm 250GB

Western Digital IDE 7200rpm