Can't Boot Every Few Days (GTX 980/Cache/Permissions)

crazylegsmurphy

3 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I have a bit of an issue that is actually starting to make me cranky. 

Every few days I boot into Windows, or restart my machine and I can't boot into OS X anymore. It gets to the Apple logo, stalls, then I get the Ghostbusters icon.

When I got my new GTX 980, the problem started. A user on Reddit suggested I run "Kext Utility" and after it repaired permissions, updated the cache, and whatever other magic it did, I could once again boot into OS X.

For a while it worked perfectly, but now, every few days the permissions will get reset, or the cache, or something and I can't boot. The only way to fix it, is to use a chameleon boot USB (None of my Clover USB drives work). Then run the Kext Utility program again, then reboot. This creates an issue because while I can boot into OS X, it sets my system profile to 3,1, thus logging me out of iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, etc. and screws up my handoff/continuity for about a day or so.

It took me long enough to get iMessage working, so having it log out all the time isn't something I really want to fool around with.

So, I am hoping someone can help. It is work noting that I have never been able to use any of the Clover options at boot (no cache, etc.) I get a stupid error message, and then nothing. 

FuAiIT3.jpg

This is the post the reddit user gave me:

lol dude, I JUST had this {censored} problem yesterday. It has to do with the Nvidia drivers and how it deals with the kext caches and I'm not sure what exactly causes it, because it does NOT happen after the first reboot when you install the drivers. It didn't happen to me until a couple reboots later. Boot with Chameleon, then download and run the latest kext utility. That is what "fixed" it for me. My concern is that I will have to do this every time I update the drivers - so I will be running kext utility every time I update the drivers from now on before I press the restart button.

If anyone has any ideas how to stop this, it would be very much appreciated. 

Try using OSXAptioFixDrv2 (=Version 2)

This solved the Problem for me. You'll find it in the newest Clover-Installations.

Thanks Maroder,

I tried installing both this one, and the other version. No change. I was just unable to boot again, and this didn't help. In fact it seemed to freeze my PC as soon as I got into OS X (Using Chameleon USB). 

I ran the Kext utility again, and was able to boot. It definitely seems like an issue with one of the kexts resetting permissions or something. I dunno, but what ever is doing it is annoying me.