Clone an Image of The MAC OSX86 Volume system, How to?

wallet

22 posts in this topic

HI,

I installed MACosx86 10.4.7 on my Pc and I'm wondering if it's possible to clone an image like norton Ghost does with windows of the Volume system disk of MAC os.

I tried to boot from DVD and use Disk utilities but I cannot create an image of a systeme volume disk.

any idea are welcome

Thanks

Sure. Just install Ghost 10 in your parallel Windows install. Then you can make an image of your install and burn that to DVD, or clone the Mac OS x86 partition to another drive incl. the MBR in options to keep it bootable. Norton does not care about the file system, it copies the partition sector by sector. Just use it the same way you are used to working with Windows partitons.

I have made better experiences with Ghost than with True Image which once did not want to restore a backup, but Norton would restore the image I made with it.

The only thing not working is browsing the HFS images, but who cares ..

Norton Ghost 10 does not NEED to allow to see MAC Drive (whatever that exactly means ..) - just clone the partition your Mac OS is on ("unknown filesystem" or whatever it says). Oh btw, my Norton Ghost sees my Mac OS HFS partition as drive X as I assigned with Mac Drive (if that is what you mean). But like I said it is not necessary ..

Ok, but I have to have a hard drive backup that have the same or more space that the volum that I want to clone.

In fact, I can create a backup of mac drive on norton but for him.

for example, The volume of the mac has 40 go and norton write , 40 go empty space, no used so norton will copy 40 go of backup.

I'm arrived to backup My mac osx with personal backup 4 but I don't how I will boot with this Drive.

if i want to make a copy of my mac osx hard drive will it be the same size as the partition really is? i know its a dumb question but i just want to make sure there isnt another way that wont take up 30 gigs on my external drive.

I made a small howto regarding cloning, particularily focused on getting the cloned drive to be able to boot on it's own. I would recommend you use Carbon Copy Cloner. Go into preferences, disable the boot option and enable de disk image in case you are looking for an image backup. Of course, it will only take the space it actually uses because unlike Ghost and other PC methods, CCC understands HFS+ ... Also you can compress the image a bit and even gain another 20%.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=30322

Works for me. Boot the install disk and execute from there.
hey you're cheating there .. ;)

BTW the first official Apple install DVD for Intel where the restore function in Disk Utility if run from DVD was repaired is the 10.4.7 Server DVD. Before 10.4.7 Server one could only backup with Disk Utility from DVD but NOT restore. To use the restore function in Disk Utility from our hackint0sh install DVDs one needs to swap the Disk Utility.app on one's install DVD with the one from the 10.4.7 Server DVD ..

Either you have done that, or you speek of experience from PPC (where that bug did not occur).

hey you're cheating there .. ;)

BTW the first official Apple install DVD for Intel where the restore function in Disk Utility if run from DVD was repaired is the 10.4.7 Server DVD. Before 10.4.7 Server one could only backup with Disk Utility from DVD but NOT restore. To use the restore function in Disk Utility from our hackint0sh install DVDs one needs to swap the Disk Utility.app on one's install DVD with the one from the 10.4.7 Server DVD ..

Either you have done that, or you speek of experience from PPC (where that bug did not occur).

Actually, I didn't swap anything but that's how I moved my install from pata to sata. I keep that pata drive handy in case I fubar my system and have to copy it back over. I've had to do it several times.

• 1 month later...

How would you swap the Hard Disk Utility app? I have a 10.4.8 install DVD (JAS). I use Toast to make my DVD's from an iso. Would I mount the iso and then open it and replace the app and then unmount and make my DVD from the new iso?

Steve