SATA-drive PROBLEM !

11 posts in this topic

i got the same problem with MSI K8N Neo2 (nforce3) and two SATA-drives.

hope someone has a usefull answer :)

I have on problems with NForce3, I can even put them in raid :) The problems usually come with NForce4 :gun:

Are you using nforce or sis controller? I have over 700Gb scattered on 5 drives, XP , Vista, 10.4.8 and 3 distros of Linux all on SATA. The only problem I've ever had was OSX not seeing a 200Gb Maxtor ATA 100 drive I wanted to install on ;)

Does any error come up at the time of login saying that AppleVIAATA.kext wasn't installed correctly? If so then that is your problem. It happened to me when installing JaS 10.4.7 but I just updated from myz 10.4.6 to JaS 10.4.8 about 10 seconds ago and it recognizes my SATA drives because it did not replace the SATA driver where as the 10.4.7 did. So check for that or download the myz image of 10.4.6 and have it work off the bat.

I have on problems with NForce3, I can even put them in raid :whistle: The problems usually come with NForce4 :gun:

Are you using nforce or sis controller? I have over 700Gb scattered on 5 drives, XP , Vista, 10.4.8 and 3 distros of Linux all on SATA. The only problem I've ever had was OSX not seeing a 200Gb Maxtor ATA 100 drive I wanted to install on :thumbsdown_anim:

i'm using nforce and there are no errors.

...or is there something i have to do after osx install to see my two samsung 250gb sata drives?

i'm using nforce and there are no errors.

...or is there something i have to do after osx install to see my two samsung 250gb sata drives?

Make sure your using the nvidia controller for the drives. Even with no errors you may not be able to see the drives :censored2: If you don't see the drives in Disk Utility it is likely you wont get them to be recognized. It may be a size issue, I'm not sure of macs criteria. I know the MacPro can only recognize up to 500Gb. I still have the 200Gb Maxtor hooked up and 10.4.8 still doesn't see it, most of my mac servere friends swear by Maxtor :censored2:

Make sure your using the nvidia controller for the drives...

my board is the K8N Neo2 Platinum and as i know there are only nvidia controllers...or not? :P

2 ports on the right site of the board and two an the left site on top of agp. i'm using the two on the right...