SATA Question for Asus P5W DH Deluxe Owners

3 posts in this topic

I am thinking of ditching my AMD hackintosh for something a little faster and better supported 'out of the box'. One key thing for me is data storage. I like what I've read about the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe running OSX86 so it's my number one choice at the moment.

BUT, does OS-X support all 6 SATA connectors and does disk utility allow you to set up (reliable) mirrored RAID arrays using those disks. At the moment my Gigabyte motherboard has 2 SATA drives connected and mirrored (using disk utility - not the BIOS). It works great on that system.

My ideal setup with the ASUS would be OSX on a PATA drive, then 4x250GB drives setup in a mirrored raid to give one failsafe 500GB partition. If I was really adventurous I might even go to 6x250GB drives. I'd like to know that it would work before I commit any dollars.

Thanks for any info.

I would consider reading this one before investing on such a serious system. But it's totally adventure, anyway.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=30433&hl=

That's an interesting idea but I imagine I'd have to buy all the drives for him too.

I was hoping someone with the ASUS board would be able to say if they are using 4 disks and someone would be able to say if they've got disk utility to support RAID mirroring on the SATA drives (even if it's just 2 drives). With a motherboard costing that much there must be someone out there running OSX86 on it with a bunch of drives connected.

My other storage option is to get the new Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ which supports RAID-5 and the AFP protocol. For about the same money, I'd rather have something I can get some other benefits from too though (like running iLife apps, converting movies for the iPod, etc.). I think the ASUS board with an E6600 should be up to task of those jobs - it's just the storage aspect I need to know about.