Installer Boots to Spinning Pinwheel/Beachball

buttcrap

1 post in this topic

Hey guys, I'm trying to install Yosemite on my HP DV6. I've included all information regarding the physical machine in my signature.

Here's my current setup:

My usb bootloader is using Chimera, as you know a branch of Chameleon.

After many trials and tribulations, I am finally able to exit verbose mode to enter the area where the actual installer should be loading.

I can see the white background and move the beach ball around with my mouse as its the cursor at this point.

I've fought hard to get here, so ideally I could resolve this without having to switch bootloaders.

Now of course it's hard to see what's going on in this stage of the boot as there is no verbose mode at this point, just the OS X GUI.

A couple things that are worth mentioning:

my display on the dv6 does not work once verbose mode is over. I must connect HDMI to be sure OS X is even loaded.

My trackpad definitely isn't working, and I suspect keyboard too but I can't yet test without moving farther along until the install starts. I use an external USB Keyboard/Mouse.

I used this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304054-lapic-native-kernel-panic-on-hp-laptop-even-with-cpus1/ thread to get where I'm at, so hopefully that allows someone more knowledgeable than I to have a good understanding of what's going on. As you can tell, I'm new to this stuff, but I'm doing my best to learn as I go.

I'm thinking about trying Yosemite Zone again, but right now I only have one USB drive to do this with, so I guess Im a little paranoid of throwing away what I've been working on. Hopefully somebody catches something I'm missing.

Thanks in advance

forgot to include: I always boot with cpus=1. I also have tried kext-dev-mode=1 with the same results.

Using -x or -f causes IOUSBFamily issue.