Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HiDefSolution

My Computer Won't Boot

1 post in this topic

All of a sudden 2 days after installing mavericks upgrade, I was working inside windows and it froze. It was unrecoverable, so I held the power button to reboot.

I held Option as I do every time I startup, and no start disks were found. At this point I restarted to allow the machine to boot into OSX and I was greeted with a picture of a folder with a question mark in it.

I already bought a new drive, re-installed OSX (Mountain Lion... Mavericks can go pound sand) and re-installed a WinClone image of my bootcamp partition from 10/31. So as of now I am up and running.

However, I absolutely must figure out what happened and how I can recover the last 90 days worth of files from the original drive.

I ran TestDisk, and it does find a partition - but it doesn't match either of the sizes of the original OSX or Bootcamp partitions. I realize that is a huge red flag, so I have not gone any further in the data recovery process.

Any advice or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Slice
      Now I want to add vector graphics support in Clover. See rev 4560 and later.
      It is not working yet but designers may begin to create Vector Themes.
      It supposed to consist of SVG elements and has design size. It will be rendered to any screen size scaled from design size.

What application in macOS can create SVG graphics?
      Inkscape is not working in macOS 10.11+. Pity.
      LibreOffice Draw works with SVG but buggy.
      Boxy SVG cost 10$ but looks good enough. It creates the best in simplicity files and have more then enough features.
      Illustrator is good but expensive.

How to improve SVG file?
      Clover has restricted support for SVG. It is your job to make compatible file and as small as possible to speedup rendering.
      Some helps:
      Help:Inkscape – From invalid to valid SVG Inkscape files
      From invalid to valid SVG Adobe Illustrator files
      From invalid to valid SVG files of other editors: BKchem, ChemDraw and CorelDRAW
      Help:Illustrator – Assistance with creating and saving SVG images in Adobe Illustrator that will pass W3C validation
      User:Quibik/Cleaning up SVG files manually
      Later I will write own instructions specific to Clover abilities.

How to create SVG fonts?
      You can google to find ready-to-use SVG fonts.  I found some problems with too beaty fonts: slow rendering and overflow crash. Be careful.
      You can get ttf or otf fonts and convert them into svg by using online WEB services. Not a problem to google.
      But then I want to find a way to simplify the font to reduce a size and speedup rendering.
      You can create own font by FontForge It is opensource and available for Windows, Mac and GNU+Linux. It creates otf font which you can convert to svg font.

• By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR HFS+J partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.14.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x MBR patch method, and more patch for 10.14 Firmware check by crazybirdy.

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
      1. Patch the MBR check, allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR partition.
      2. Patch the Firmware check, bypass the error of "An error occurred while verifying firmware".
      3. Patch to stop auto-convert to APFS , "ConvertToAPFS=false" is no longer worked with 10.14.
      4. This patched MBR OSInstaller will never convert to APFS, and will always install as HFS+J partition.
      5. This patched MBR OSInstaller method works with both MBR HFS+J and GPT HFS+J partition (GPT+recovery).

No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

How to make 10.14 installer for MBR?
      Read HowTo-10.14.x.txt inside the zip file first, same as 10.13, different with 10.12.
      Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to install in different computer with only one USB partition?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q8. How to update 10.14.x combo-update to MBR without downloading the full installer app again?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q9. How to update 10.14.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

Just use 14MBRinstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

And, need a SMBIOS supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

Q: What's the difference between createinstallmedia method and MBR-patch method?
      A: As the following....
      1. createinstallmedia method, needs stage 1, stage 2 installation process, worked with GUID only, always convert to APFS format.
      2. MBR-patch method, install via stage 2 directly, worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS, will never convert the format.

OSInstaller version:
      10.14.db3.18A326g=10.14.18A326h
      10.14.db2.18A314h=10.14.18A314k
      10.14.db1.18A293u

• By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.13 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.13.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x MBR patch method, and more patch for 10.13 Firmware check by crazybirdy.

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
      1. Patch the MBR check, allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR partition.
      2. Patch the Firmware check, bypass the error of "An error occurred while verifying firmware".
      3. This patched MBR OSInstaller method works with both MBR and GPT partition (GPT+recovery).

No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

How to make 10.13 installer for MBR?
      Read HowTo-10.13.x.txt inside the zip file first, different with 10.12.
      Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to install in different computer with only one USB partition?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q8. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR without downloading the full installer app again?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q9. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

Just use 13MBRinstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

And, need a SMBIOS supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

Q: What's the difference between createinstallmedia method and MBR-patch method?
      A: As the following....
      1. createinstallmedia method, needs stage 1, stage 2 installation process, worked with GUID only.
      2. MBR-patch method, install via stage 2 directly, worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS.
    • By apianti
      Just so you all know I actually have done something. I have pushed the source to both my github and to sourceforge, please commit to the experimental branch and I will merge it into the stable branch once it is safe. Also, nothing meaningful happens yet so don't get too excited. Only the Visual studio build works right now. I haven't set up the Xcode or Makefile builds yet, I'm trying to do them now.

https://github.com/apianti/Clover
      https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/Clover

IA32/X64/ARM/ARM64 testing ISO (6/7/2018): Clover-3.0-experimental.iso
    • By Micky1979
      ESP Mounter Pro is a new top bar application to manage your EFI System Partition(s). You can mount or umount any ESP you have on any disk you have directly from its popover window.

**ESP Mounter Pro v1.9 / Require 10.9 +, works good in Mojave!** http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6516  
      NEW: since v1.4 can mount/umount all partitions you have, for example each Recovery HD partitions you have also!!

This app use advanced APIs to perform all operations and no AppleScript or scripts are used: only code!

New: Dark Mode support (automatic switching):

Retina Display Support!

Require 10.9 +, works good in macOS Sierra!

//
      // Created by Micky1979 on 15/06/16.
      // Copyright © 2016 Micky1979 & InsanelyMac. All rights reserved.
      //

app icon by Mirone (thanks)

Does not show an EFI Partition if your disk is not GPT (or if smaller than 1GB). Cannot mount it if corrupted!.