Restart stuck at grey screen after 10.6.8 combo update

snows

4 posts in this topic

This post follows up my first post on how to prepare for updating 10.6.3 to 10.6.8.  With much helps there, I backup the Extra and /System/Library/Extensions dirs in the Snow Leopard Volume.

I downloaded the 10.6.8 Combo Update and Nawcom 10.6.8 V2 legacy kernel installer.  The update completed successfully.  I ran the legacy kernel installer, which also installed the SleepEnabler kext.  Then, rebooted the machine.

Without any boot flags, the restart stuck at the grey screen with the logo in the middle.  Restarted with "-x -v" and got these messages:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

Using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

APCI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

PFM64: 0xf10000000, 0xf0000000

[PCI Configuration begin]

PCI Configuration changed [bridge=1 device=2 cardbus=0]

[PCI Configuration end, bridge 4 devices 13]

RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)

I read some suggestions with boot flags like "cpus=1 busratio=19 npci=0x2000 -x -v" but that only got one step further then the above messages:

netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device

Any ideas with these boot messages?  I can boot with modcd + retail DVD okay.  That lets me get into the Snow Leopard Volume (now updated to 10.6.8) and the backup dirs Extra and /System/Library/Extension.  I also saved the "This MAC info" into an editor file.  Could not get lspci to work.  When in "installation" mode, I used Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions successfully.  But, that didn't make any difference.

I plan to compare the *.kext in Extra and /System/Library/Extensions to see the differences.  But, would like to hear any advices.  Kext Wizard was also installed before the update.  Can I run this app and others like editor and safari in the "installation" mode?  The terminal app is very helpful for me so far.  I'm very hopeful that the problem can be found and fixed.

10.6.8 introduced the "PCI Configuration begin" issue. Assuming that you already tried npci flag, then try to use AppleAcpiplatform & IOPCIFamily kexts from 10.6.7. This should get you going again.

I've tried npci=0x2000.  Do we have the two AppleAcpiplatform & IOPCIFamily kexts from 10.6.7 for download on this site?  Probably some instructions come with that.  If not, I'll google for some other sites.  Thanks!

UPDATE:

In installer mode, the network is working.  But, I can't open Safari by using the open command.  The open command I used like following:

• cd /Volumes/Snow*; usr/bin/open /Applications/Safari.app/
  • cd /Volumes/Snow*; usr/bin/open /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/safari

Without Safari, I can't download those kexts.  Any other ideas how I can get those files to this Mac machine?  I can download them on Windows machine.  But, how do I have a USB key that I can store the files from Windows then plug that USB key to the Mac machine to copy the files?  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried npci=0x2000.  Do we have the two AppleAcpiplatform & IOPCIFamily kexts from 10.6.7 for download on this site?  Probably some instructions come with that.  If not, I'll google for some other sites.  Thanks!

SUCCEEDED!

I used the USB key formatted with MSDOS filesystem that is compatible with 10.6.3 and Windows (This is the only one lifesaver).  Then:

• Downloaded 10.6.7 AppleAcpiplatform & IOPCIFamily kexts to Windows
  • Booted the mac with modcd + retail DVD
  • Copied the two kexts from Windows to USB key and into the mac HDD
  • Moved the existing AppleAcpiplatform & IOPCIFamily kexts from /Extra/Extensions/ to a backup location
  • Copied the 10.6.7 kexts into /Extra/Extensions and made sure they have the right ownership & permissions

Restarted the mac and it came up from HDD at 10.6.8.  I also went to Software Update and upgraded other apps like iTune and so on after that.  They all updated fine.