:stretcher:

@gaucho

U R THE MAN, MAN!!!

intelE6300@2,45

3GBRAM

ASUSP5BDELUXE

400GBSATA

X1950XT

With UR help I could finally boot my LEO...

THE:

Partition target hard drive (choose the DRIVE not the partition)

Options > MBR (not GUID or Apple)

DID THE TRICK

Tipp I can share: in BIOS set the IDE/SATA configuration on AHCI

THANX 2 U, mistico (asus package), ToH, and the guy(s) how did "X1950XT Installer 0.3.pkg.zip"

:shock::) :)

• 1 month later...

I know this thread might seem a bit old by now, but I'm still having no success with obtaining a bootable cloned osX86 disk. My situation is as follows.

I have three 250 GB SATA II disks (one Seagate used for audio files and two Western Digital). On one of the WD disks I have a fully functional and bootable installation of 10.4.10 (Mac.nub). That disk has two partitions, one with 10.4.10, the other empty. This second disk also has two partitions, one of them the attempted clone and the other empty. I don't have Windows or Linux installed and would like to avoid having to if possible as I'm not very familiar with them. I partitioned each of the disks with Disk Utility selecting the MBR option for both.

I've tried both SuperDuper and Clonetool Hatchery for this task with the exact same results. I can boot from the cloned disk if I leave the install DVD in the optical drive and let the timer run out or using "mach_kernel rd=disk1s1' after selecting F8 for boot options from the Darwin bootloader on the first bootable disk, but seemingly nothing I've tried allows me to boot directly from the cloned drive when I select it in Bios as the first boot option. I'm always stuck at the blinking cursor in the top left of the screen. It seems like the Darwin bootloader has to be operating from somewhere other than the cloned disk.

I've followed the instructions in the OP very closely and done everything it suggests. I obtained the "boot0", "boot1h" etc from the Mac.nub install disk rather than a JaS one but I assume that wouldn't make any difference. I also tried substituting "chain0" for "boot1h" as one poster mentioned having success with that, but it made no difference in my case. I don't know Unix at all really, so the bit that says

"Get startupfiletool (attached at the end of this message) and put it in your /usr/sbin directory. Remember to change executable bit in Terminal (use chmod +x startupfiletool) and owner/group to root:wheel (use chown root:wheel startupfiletool). You are going to need it there in the executable path (/usr/sbin is in the path)."

was a bit unclear but I think I did it ok. In any case, when I ran startupfiletool with the following -

"sudo startupfiletool /dev/rdisk@s# boot"

I certainly got the following message as suggested

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

etc

I also got the correct messages after the other commands listed in the tutorial and certainly have made the partition active.

So, I'm out of ideas and hope someone else has some for me. I noticed in a post on osX86scene someone suggests the GUID option should be chosen when partitioning disks though most other reports contradict that. Could this be worth a try? Might there be something in Bios that i need to change? I own SuperDuper from my G5 days and would really like to be able to use the incremental backup features it offers, so if someone has been using SuperDuper successfully to make bootable clones I would love to hear about it.

Well, that's it I guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Bill.

Well, after weeks of trying to figure this out, less than 24 hours after posting the above I managed to come across a solution.

On a whim I tried cloning with Clonetool Hatchery again. There are so many other posts that suggest it works even when SuperDuper doesn't that I thought I'd give it a go again. And this time it worked! Prior to doing so, I re-partitioned the target disk with Disk Utility selecting the Master Boot Record option and I suspect last time I used Clonetool I neglected to do this. I would probably have just cloned over the top of a pre-existing (and non-bootable) clone that I had made with SuperDuper. One possible conclusion to draw is, like other posters have alluded to, SuperDuper does something to prevent the Darwin bootloader from functioning properly.

However, after making the clone with Clonetool and confirming that it was fully functional and bootable I tried doing a smart update with SuperDuper to see if it would render the newly cloned disk unbootable and although there was nothing to copy over (both partitions would have been identical at that stage), the cloned disk remains fully bootable. I'll have to try it again when there have been a significant number of changes to my primary system disk to see if that remains true, but so far so good.

Hope this helps someone stuck in the same boat as I was. Glad to see the back of that blinking cursor. Now I'm off to donate to the Clonetool developers.

Cheers.

Bill.

• 1 year later...

After much struggling with trying to clone my osx86 drive, I discovered what is perhaps the easiest way to get it done. Perfectly.

1. Boot from your osx86 installation disk.

2. Open a terminal.

3. Enter "diskutil list" and identify your source and target disks

4. Enter the following: asr --source /dev/diskXsY --target /dev/diskXsY --erase --verbose

...where X is the disk number and Y is the partition number. In my case, my source was

/dev/disk2s1 and my target was /dev/disk0s2.

The asr tool (Apple System Restore) will do a block-copy of your disk if, and only if, you're running from an instance of osx86 that is independent of the 2 disks you're copying from and to. This makes a perfect copy, including the boot blocks.

It's also fast. Took about 20 minutes to copy and verify a 22gb installation.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

As I am not a fan of Norton products, I must admit that Norton Ghost was the only software that did the job right, after trying a lot of others (superduper, CCC, copycatX, clonetool, etc.). None of them were able to make my drive boot, can't explain why. So I booted from Hiren's Boot CD and tried Ghost, partition to partition copy, with default settings. It really worked! Afterwards I just had to repartition the drive with Acronis Boot Director, make fat32 partitions and change type to ShagOS swap. then boot Leopard and reformat them as Mac Journaled, in order to copy the non-booting partitions of the old drive.