Unable to detect hardware

20 posts in this topic

I have a Belkin F5D7011 v.1212 PCMCIA wireless NIC, which apparantly has a Broadcom 4318 chipset. When I plug the card in and boot into OS X, the card is not powered on at all; the power LED is not on. I assume that without drivers, OS X should at least power the card? Otherwise how can I install drivers for it?

(Funnily enough, I could never get Ubuntu to detect this card either, or the Belkin F5D7010 for that matter.)

Well, there are two devices involved here: the PCMCIA card controller and the Broadcom card.

If the PCMCIA slot isn't being detected by OSX, then it doesn't matter what you put into the slot, it won't work. Once you are sure the PCMCIA controller is working, then you can try to get the card recognized.

Go in Windows and see if you can find out what kind of PC Card controller you have. Determine the vendor id and device id. Here are some OSX drivers for 2 different Texas Instruments controllers with different device id's:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=30295

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29583

I see, thanks for clearing that up. I suspected it would be the PCMCIA controller after reading wondergod's recent post. In Window's device manager, it reports the controller to be Texas Instruments PCI4520; after a search it seems like there are currently no drivers for this controller. I hope it would be similar to wondergod's PCIxx21 drivers.

How would I get the exact device/vendor IDs in Windows?

How would I get the exact device/vendor IDs in Windows?

You need to find the PCMCIA device in Windows -> Device Manager. When you do, get Properties on it and click the Details tab. The vendor id is the 4 characters following VEN and the device id is the 4 characters following DEV.

Here are the relavent information:

0000:02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4520 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)

Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0552

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 11

Memory at b0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=02, secondary=03, subordinate=06, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: e8000000-e9fff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: c2000000-c3fff000

I/O window 0: 00004000-000040ff

I/O window 1: 00004400-000044ff

16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

0000:02:00.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4520 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)

Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0552

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 11

Memory at b1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=02, secondary=07, subordinate=0a, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: ea000000-ebfff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: c4000000-c5fff000

I/O window 0: 00004800-000048ff

I/O window 1: 00004c00-00004cff

16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

Haha, I had just booted back into Mac OS X after getting the vendor ID and the device ID when I saw your post, so I had to restart again and go to Linux! :)

The kext loaded without problems, I replaced the old one with it and gave it 755 and root:wheel. No kernel panic when I restarted but the PCMCIA card is still not being detected.

If you need any additional testing/information then please ask. It's just that no errors occured when I loaded it.

The kext loaded without problems, I replaced the old one with it and gave it 755 and root:wheel. No kernel panic when I restarted but the PCMCIA card is still not being detected.

If you need any additional testing/information then please ask. It's just that no errors occured when I loaded it.

when you hav ethe card in and look under system profiler..under the pc cards section what do you see?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeva Hose - and of course whoever did the hard work - BIG thank you!

Just kept fingers crossed and installed these on JaS 10.4.8 - Thinkpad R40 2681 - System Profiler now sees the cardbus and my Edimax Gigabit Ethernet card works very well, though is shown as unknown vendor. Very important for me cos my built in ethernet port is knackered - I mean physically broke. It was recognised before, but without these kexts I had no network on this machine.

Not 100% sure if this is a "native" recognition as I had previously replaced IONetworkingFamily.kext

Again - big thank you!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have a Vaio VGN-FJ290:

PCMCIA Adapter:

PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_AC8E&SUBSYS_81F1104D&REV_00\4&AD1B67F&0&48F0

PCMCIA and Flash memory devices - guess this is the MagicGate Memory Stick Slot

PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_AC8F&SUBSYS_81F1104D&REV_00\4&AD1B67F&0&4BF0

Anybody know how to get these working?

Thanks/CT

• 6 months later...