Graphic Card driver update

mikko

6 posts in this topic

Hello!

I wanna know how to update or improve the skills of my graphic card in my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L1300.

And i wanna also change the resolution...1024 x 768 is very bad!

If anyone can help , please help me;)

Regards, mikko

There are no drivers for your graphic card. You might be able to get a resolution of 1280x1024.

You can try to set a resolution at boot and if you happen to find one that works, you can add that to a boot.plist to force the video card to that resolution.

During boot, you need to get to a command prompt. When you boot, the screen first turns black and then grey with a spinning icon.

As soon as the screen turns black, start tapping the F8 key quickly and repeatedly until a command prompt appears.

Typing ?video will display a list of available resolutions.

Typing the following at the command prompt will force the resolution at boot. However, if the video card and monitor cannot sync, you will end up with a black screen.

At the prompt, type: "Graphics Mode" = "1280x1024"

You must use the quotes and you can replace the 1280x1024 with a value you found from ?video.

Once you find an acceptable resolution, you can add it to the boot plist file:

Edit the file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Add the following to the file:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024</string> (or whatever resolution you select)

You can edit the file by dragging it to the Desktop and editing it with TextEdit, then dragging it back, answering the 2 resulting dialogs - Authenticate and yes to replace, then followed by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the OSX partition.

Or you can do it via Terminal with this command:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

OK , I can't get in during the boot.

I'm have to format the whole disk again, cause I did a big mistake in Magic Partition 8. After that I'm gonna try this.

BTW, can OSX 10.4.6 be installed as native and without WIN XP ?

OK , I can't get in during the boot.

BTW, can OSX 10.4.6 be installed as native and without WIN XP ?

The timing to hit F8 is tricky. It is easily missed. When you select OSX in your bootloader, the screen will turn black. Just as soon as the screen turns black, start tapping F8. Don't tap it just once and don't hold it down. Tap it like you are killing monsters in a game - very quickly and repeatedly. If you get to the grey screen, you missed it again.

OSX can be installed on a hard drive by itself, but some proper preparation will make things go more smoothly. Format the entire drive using a Windows/Linux utility as FAT32 to establish the MBR partition scheme. You are booting a PC, so BIOS expects a PC style partition scheme. The Disk Utility on the installer DVD can't do that. Formatting as FAT32 will place the boot sectors in a very tiny partition at the start of the disk and the rest of the disk will be a big partition.

Once you format the hard drive as FAT32, then when you go into the installation, format only the large partition. In Disk Utility, you will see the hard drive listed at the top with the large partition right below it. Format the partition, not the drive, as MacOS Extended Journaled.