ASUS A6JA

Spookyrufus

7 posts in this topic

Hi there,

This is my first message so, Hi everybody!!

I'm Andrea, student, writing from Italy.

I own an Asus A6JA Laptop, nice machine to install OSX as it's very similar to Macbook.

I'm just having one problem with OSX 10.4.6 Myz regarding my Video Card.

It simply won't work using Boris method/installer.

All I cant get is a screen full of vertical grey and black lines (but the machine doesnt freeze).

I can use Quartzextreme wit hdefault drivfers, but no way to change desktop resolution.

I hope someone will help me, even via Email.

Thanks everybody and hope to ear news soon!!!! This Forum ROCKS!!!! :(

I own an Asus A6JA Laptop

It simply won't work using Boris method/installer.

Boris doesn't work with x1600 Mobility, only regular x1600, x1800 and x1900 cards.

You can't use the ATI drivers so your video is in VESA mode. The available resolutions are read from the card.

You can try to set an arbitrary resolution at boot and if you happen to find one that works, you can add that to a boot.plist to force the video card to that resolution.

During boot, you need to get to a command prompt. When you boot, the screen first turns black and then grey with a spinning icon.

As soon as the screen turns black, start tapping the F8 key quickly and repeatedly until a command prompt appears.

Typing ?video will display a list of available resolutions.

Typing the following at the command prompt will force the resolution at boot. However, if the video card and monitor cannot sync, you will end up with a black screen.

At the prompt, type: "Graphics Mode" = "1280x1024"

You must use the quotes and you can replace the 1280x1024 with a value you found from ?video.

Once you find an acceptable resolution, you can add it to the boot plist file:

Edit the file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Add the following to the file:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024</string> (or whatever resolution you select)

You can edit the file by dragging it to the Desktop and editing it with TextEdit, then dragging it back, answering the 2 resulting dialogs - Authenticate and yes to replace, then followed by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the OSX partition.

Or you can do it via Terminal with this command:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

THANKS!

That rocks!!

And why QE and CI are fully supported without any hack if the video card isnt recognized?

I'm using it on an external DVI monitor, which has a different resolution from my laptop monitor. What resolution shall I set in the boot file? My laptop's one or the external monitor's?

I think Laptop one because the external monitor is just in 'clone' mode but tell me if im wrong.

THANKS a lot for your BIG help!!

• 1 year later...