Julian0o

Extremely Slow Fusion Drive

1 post in this topic

Hello there,

i have a Problem with my new installed System. I installed with clover. I have a Fusion Drive Set up with a 256GB Samsung 840 SSD and a 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD.

I noticed that i forgot to enable trim. So i did that but there is no change. Rebooted several Times. I only get about 30-40 MB/s write on my FD. Its writing the my SSD (looking at it with "iostat disk0 disk1 1")

I don't know what to do. Could it be a bad clover config? I attached it.
Or does it take some time to get it fixed?

All drives show up with SATA 6Gpbs connection and the SSD now has Trim enabled.

Greetings
Julian

config.txt

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Legomann
      Hello all,

I'm about to build a hackintosh and want to share my findings in that process. Also maybe get some help. 

The goal is to have a fast Mac with large disk capacity for image processing and a Windows gaming machine at the same time. The components I chose:
      MSI Z390 Gaming plus i5 9600K 6cores with HD630 graphics 2x8GB Crucial DDR4-2666 nVidia GTX650 Ti (will be replaced later by Vega or Navi card) 1TB Samsung 970 Evo plus NVMe + 4TB WD blue Disk as fusion drive  
      What is working:
      Windows boots and games run. Installation was a bit tricky:
      the GTX650 has no UEFI Disk partition has to be GPT since it should be shared between Windows and OSX Windows only installs on a GPT drive if the setup is purely UEFI. I ended up with a 2 screen setup with the secondary monitor on the HD630 being the boot display. The Windows driver uses the GTX650 without problems. 
      Disabling CSM is important, on MSI this is hidden under the odd entrance "Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support" that has to be enabled(!). 

Booting and Installing OSX from USB stick. I found this post most useful as a starting point. After some trial and error I managed to boot with the HD630 into the installer
      The board has bios version 7B51v14, the most recent is not working (will check again when the system runs without error) Clean up EFI folder, update clover, apfs.efi (from osx installation). Clover folder is attached. Onboard ethernet is working with IntelMausiEthernet V2.4.0  

Not working (TODO list): 
      Fusion drive: Mojave does not support fusion drives. Instead, the installer tries to convert a fusion drive to apfs which, since Mojave, has a similar feature. From command line, I can create a apfs "fusion drive" with some modified commands:
      (will supply later)
      However: I seems that afp is buggy when it has to share the disks with other partitions. The plan was to have Windows too on the SSD and a common transfer partition on the spinning disk. Setup of the "fusion drive" was fine, but the installer always crashes without message, presumably in the moment it tries to access the disk. At the moment OSX is installed on a separate disk, will continue to investigate.

HD630: No acceleration, 6MB video memory
      GTX650: No output at all, but card is shown in profiler. Thought it would be supported ootb.
      Speedstep: CPU power usage around 8W in idle.
      Audio
      USB3
      turn off crappy board illumination

CLOVER.zip
    • By sonicthehedgehog2
      Apologies for the lack of information (and for posting in the wrong place), but I can't even boot into Clover so screenshots of verbose mode aren't even possible. I've been running the beta of 10.14.2 for sometime (-using this excellent guide 
      ) without any issues. When I tried to apply the new update for 10.14.2, my pc downloaded the update, shutdown but applied some updates then rebooted into a blank screen. I've tried several things since then. Specifically:

* Booting from the installation USB created using the above guide - same blank screen
      * Booting from an external HDD - successful launch of OS. From here I have tried different versions of Clover including the one on my HDD r4644 (all have been unsuccessful). I have also tried different memory management options osxaptiofix (1, 2 & 3)

The only other information I can provide is in the screenshots below (including a brief of my drive configuration)

Please let me know if and how I can get more information to help resolve the issue, or if I have to rebuild from scratch.

Many thanks in advance

• By stuckinstandby
      Hello

My wife's early 2009 Snow Leopard iMac has started failing to boot properly and I'm looking for some troubleshooting tips.

Booting from cold, it gets past the logon screen and starts loading the desktop. It's quite slow at this point, but does load all the (hundreds of!) icons on the desktop. It also tries to re-open Firefox which had a lot of tabs open. Initially it would load a Firefox window but not complete loading the internals. On one boot I think I managed to close Firefox and now it still tries to load but just displays "Firefox" in the title bar with no windows.

I can initially access a few menus, spotlight, Finder, the dock, but any further action results in a beach ball for these, and they can't be accessed again. I was able to navigate Finder to try to launch Terminal but just it just gave me the beach ball.

I've left it like this for about half an hour but it doesn't get any further and I have to force shutdown (long press of power button).

I tried booting to safe mode (holding down S on startup) but the end result was the same.

I've been able to boot to a live ubuntu USB disk and can access files on the hard disk, so I've started a backup. We have a time machine backup but it's not that recent.

I'm hoping it's just a corrupt file, but suspect it's the hard disk starting to fail.

What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks
    • By Alex Rettig
      Thinking to Fusion Drive of two internal SSD.
      There are some interesting cases:
      On iMac Fusion Drive:
      The original Fusion Drive SSD replaced with SSD NVMe PCIe plus adapter, and SSD SATA in replace of HDD. On Mac Pro:
      One SSD SATA with OWC Mount Pro plus a SSD NVMe with PCIe card adapter.
      This configuration allow a Mac Pro (2006 to 2012 models) to take true benefit from NVMe PCIe SSD: Since The Mac Pro can not boot from NVMe (there are rEFInd and Clover "patches", but Fusion Drive give us better data integrity and usability, and is the easier configuration)  
      Concerns:
      NVMe SSD can be more fast (and more big) than the original Apple's Fusion Drive on iMac. NVMe SSD can be more big than the HDD drive on Mac Pro. Both cases contradict the Fusion Drive argument supposed to be: "SSD is always the small disk and the faster one, HDD is always the big disk and the slower one"

So, how does Apple Fusion Drive technology to detect the fastest drive and to optimize the resulting logical volume?

Any detailed Apple specs document of how fusion drive technology optimization works?

(Please share documented answers, thanks!)