Installing Mavericks on Alienware 14

Simon Poulton

2 posts in this topic

Since I managed to get Mavericks running pretty much perfectly on my Alienware 14 I thought i'd post a how to here.

Files Required:

This Version Of Clover

The Hackintosh Vietnam Tool

EFIMounter 

Alienware 14 Kexts Attached

VoodooHDA

Pacifist (Or Another .pkg extractor)

Preparing The Bootable Install USB (Under OS X - Use a Virtual Machine if you havent got access to a Mac):

1. Partition your usb as MBR using disk utility so you have a 350MB FAT Partition Labelled CLOVER and the remainder of your USB should be in a MAC Os X Extended (Journaled) Partition with any label but we'll assume you used "Untitled"

2. Copy the EFI Folder from the version of clover above to the CLOVER Partition on your usb

3. Run The Hackintosh Vietnam Tool

4. Use these options in Hackintosh Vietnam tool:

Expand Clover-Config-CPU and Tick Haswell Mobile

Expand Clover-Config-SSDT and Tick Generate

Expand Clover-Graphics and Tick HD4400/4600 Mobile

5. Click continue and follow the process through until you have a config.plist on the desktop

6. Copy the config.plist from your desktop to the EFI/CLOVER Folder on your CLOVER partition

7. Mount your installESD.dmg (I used 10.9.3) 

8. Mount the OS X Base System from it:

open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

9. Open Disk Utility And Select the Mac OS X Base System and go to the restore tab source should be Mac OS X Base System, Destination Untitled (or whatever you labelled the second partition on your usb)

10. Click Restore

11. Right Click the Mac OS X Base System image in disk utility and click eject

12. Go to the newly restored OS X Base System partition on your usb

13. Delete the Packages shortcut from System\Installation

14. Copy the Packages folder from your InstallESD.dmg to System\Installation

15. Extract the mach_kernel from the BaseSystemBinaries.pkg from the packages folder using Pacifist (or another .pkg extractor) and copy it into the Root of the Mac OS X Base System on your usb

16. The USB Is now prepared and you can boot from it!

Installation:

1. BIOS Options - Load Legacy ROM: Enabled, Boot List Option UEFI, Save/Exit

2. Tap F12 and choose to UEFI boot the USB

3. Go to the clover options and in the boot flags write nv_disable=1

4. Boot up from the Mac OS X Base System

5. Depending on how quick your usb is this shouldn't take to long

6. Go to disk utility and partition your hard disk Mac Extended (Journaled) using the GUID partition scheme - I labeled my hard drive partition Macintosh HD

7. Close disk utility 

8. Follow the installation steps through and install it to your new partition

9. When it reboots you need to boot from your usb again - go into the clover options again and add the boot flag nv_disable=1 

10. This time choose to boot from your hard drive partition

11. When it boots up do the initial setup, assuming you have used at least 10.9.3 the wifi will work out of the box as long as you have the broadcom one

12. Assuming your wifi is working go to the app store and download the latest 10.9.5 combo update and install

13. Once you reboot again boot your hard drive using your usb and put in the nv_disable=1 boot flag

14. Install the kexts and VoodooHDA then reboot - you'll have to use your usb again as the boot loader isnt installed yet!

15. Run the Hackintosh Vietnam tool - this time you want to choose the same options as for your usb but also tick the Install Clover UEFI option

16. Once thats finished Dont Reboot! Go To Finder and click Go-Computer there should be an EFI partition visible there (if not you'll need to use EFIMounter)

17. Go into the EFI Partition and then into the EFI folder - Delete the CLOVER folder From here

18. Copy the Clover Folder from the EFI folder on the install USB into the EFI Folder on the EFI Partition

19. Go into the clover folder again in the EFI Folder on the EFI partition and open config.plist

20. Under the boot section there will be an arguments section - put nv_disable=1 into the empty <string></string> line directly below arguments like <string>nv_disable=1</string>

21. Directly under this make a new line with <key>DefaultVolume</key>

22. Directly under this line make another new line with <string>Macintosh HD</string> (if your hard drive partition is not labeled Macintosh HD you will need to input the actual partition name)

23. Save the file and reboot

24. It should now boot up from your hard drive automatically 

25. All Done! You should now have a working Mavericks 10.9.5 install on your Alienware 14

Notes:

You need to change the output option to speakers in the sound options to get the sound out

You can only use headphones clearly in the middle socket and you need to choose the headphones jack option in the sound options

The nVidia graphics card is disabled

• 2 months later...