Quadruple boot with GRUB

nastyhome

27 posts in this topic

root:

Set the current root device to the device device, then attempt to mount it to get the partition size (for passing the partition descriptor in ES:ESI, used by some chain-loaded boot loaders), (...) and correctly determine the PC partition where a BSD sub-partition is located.(...)

rootnoverify:

Similar to root,  but [doesn't] attempt to mount the partition. This is useful for when  an OS is outside of the area of the disk that GRUB can read, but  setting the correct root device is still desired. Note that the items  mentioned in root above which  derived from attempting the mount will not work correctly.

So mounting the partition and passing some info (partition descriptor) might be the magic touch.

Was remembering this wiki article where some said they needed the rootnoverify. So these people didn't need the added info that root provided the chainloader... So I'm glad root worked for nastyhome, but still can't understand where the real difference is.

Personally I also use root. From now on I'll stick with it as first suggestion, and only suggest rootnoverify later if there's no success.