Processor Stutter/Lag with D 930

monson

9 posts in this topic

Ever since I built my rig, I've been having issues with the same stutter/lag that others have been discussing on this board. I was wondering if there is any other solution to this problem with the Pentium D 930 other than just disabling one of the cores? It'd been nice to have both cores active and be able to reap the benefits.

My setup is below:

OS: 10.4.7 JaS with SSE3/GMA900 patches upgraded to 10.4.8 with Jas Update

CPU: Pentium D 930 (3.0GHz running overclocked to 3.4GHz)

Motherboard: ASRock 775i945GZ (onboard GMA950 video, Onboard Realtek ALC888 audio, Onboard Realtek 8101L LAN, all working perfectly with the typical mods)

Memory: 512MB DDR2 PC4200 Kingston Value

Hard Drive: 80GB 7200 Western Digital

Wireless Card: PCI Netgear WG311T

Thanks,

Dirk

For those wondering, the platform=ACPI idlehalt=0 trick doesn't appear to do anything for my computer.

In fact, according to Xbench, my score is lower when I don't have one of the cores disabled (only 60.25) as opposed to when I do have a core disabled (99.73). That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Ideas anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

I've the same Mother Board...and the same stutter problem. I've disabled 1 core (cpus=1 in the Boot.Apple file) and now all works great (but withou a core :( )

How do you have overclocked the cpu ? I can't see anything for do that in bios (I've D 805 Intel CPU). Can you help me to increase my 2.6ghz (and the 2th core too ;) ) ?

Thank You Very Much

actually, you have to realize one thing, the pentium D's pump out massive heat. Stutters usually occurin in Systems for 2 reasons, 1: inifinte loop (common, but not that common; replacing video card works) or 2: (thermal based throttling -- popular feature in intel CPUs)... can you run a temp monitor program while in OSX or some hardware temp sensor, and tell me what you heat output looks like when u experience a stutter?

unfortunally no :thumbsdown_anim:

I can see only Hard Disk temp..I've tested many software-temp without success. I can spend some money for a new cooler, but I've touched it in "running" mode and it is so cool. When I start my PC the stutter appear immediately. This motherboard work very well (100% hardware compatibility)...help me to bring up the 2th core!

Many thanks!

also have heat problem on my D805

after changing stock cooler to TT Big Typhoon all problems gone.

i think it's a heat problem...

Pentium D serises is really HOT processors..

and stock cooler is really SUCK.