Trouble booting Linux on a separate disk with Clover

2 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I've been having some strange issues trying to triple boot on separate discs with Clover. I installed Clover to my main SSD drive and I've got a Mavericks install on there working flawlessly. I also have a Windows 8.1 install on a separate GPT disk in UEFI-mode. Booting is not a problem after setting the appropriate path in the Clover config. However, I have been ripping my hair out trying to get a properly working Linux install. I have tried:

• Install to a separate MBR disk and installing grub directly to the MBR (/dev/sda for example), Clover shows the entry but loading the entry just seems to refresh the screen and doesn't do anything, there is also no info displayed when hitting the spacebar
  • Install to a separate MBR disk and installing grub to the ext4 partition (e.g. /dev/sda1), Clover also shows the entry and when I select it, I get the grub bootloader screen with an unresponsive keyboard. Then it seems to try and boot the selected entry but simply restarts the computer. Booting through the BIOS without clover works though.
  • Install to a separate GPT disk, letting the installer (fedora) set everything up the way it wants (in UEFI mode), it creates an EFI partition in FAT32 and puts grub there. Clover can see the partition and booting seems to work very briefly, but the system complains it can't mount the root partition and falls back to initramfs. Booting without clover works fine in this case as well.

I have also tried installing grub manually to the EFI partition, but it wouldn't create a grubx64.efi file and the appropriate commands did not seem to work. I would be really grateful if you could give me some advice here!

Bootlog: http://pastebin.com/AFtuF1gN

config.plist: http://pastebin.com/gf1C0Bp5

• 1 year later...

I was able to get Linux booting from clover by going into Linux (anyway possible) then navigating to /boot/Efi/grubx64.efi and copying that file into clovers /Efi/Ubuntu/ folder. Not sure this helps but I also copied my grub.cfg to same clover folder as well. Google the find where this in the Linux directory scheme.