InsanelyMac Forum
PB_863

Badly need bootloader help - Can't boot from HD!

I've got both Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard installed on my hard drive, but I can't boot from the hard drive no matter what I try!

To install Mountain Lion, I used the MyHack 3.3 Guide, which used to be located at myhack.sojugarden.com but is now available only from the WayBack machine at the following url: Archived MyHack 3.3 Guide. This worked perfectly, including being able to boot from the hard drive (although it only supported a MyHack, text-only boot screen).

But since the MyHack OSX Installer creation tool doesn't work for a Snow Leopard install, I used the "regae" boot CD and installer guide, located on this very site at: [GUIDE] Lion Retail & Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3. Although that assumed a different and older motherboard than mine (an ASUS P5WDG2 WS Pro), the Snow Leopard install worked fine, except that it would not boot from the hard drive.  (By the way, I did not upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 as the guide calls for because after trying to upgrade to 10.6.8 the system would not boot at all).

I was advised to install Chameleon on both the Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion partitions, so that I could once again boot from the hard drive, but no matter which version I install, I simply cannot boot from the hard drive.  Instead, I always see the messages:

boot0:GPT
boot0:error

Now, please don't ask or tell me to forget about using Snow Leopard, because I absolutely need it because it is the last version that includes Rosetta (the PPC emulator), which I definitely need.

In the past, I've also tried to install Clover, but afterwards I could never get Clover to boot from the hard drive either.

By the way, my Hackintosh system requires a legacy BIOS and does not support UEFI.

Please help me solve this problem :unsure:

Advertisement

Aah yes, the infamous boot0 error... This is because you are using an "advanced format" hard drive (meaning it uses 4kb sectors, most modern hard drives are this type). Chameleon has trouble dealing with these and for some reason that still hasn't been fixed after like 3 years... Fortunately this can be solved pretty easily.

This should solve your problem: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288671-solved-boot0-error-after-install/

Happy hacking.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• I've commited the actual code, later I'll make it as first example. Taken from edk2, I'm making this to work with: struct EDID_BLOCK { var Header : [UInt8] = [UInt8](repeating: 0, count: 8) //EDID header "00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00" var ManufactureName : UInt16 = 0 //EISA 3-character ID var ProductCode : UInt16 = 0 //Vendor assigned code var SerialNumber : UInt32 = 0 //32-bit serial number var WeekOfManufacture : UInt8 = 0 //Week number var YearOfManufacture : UInt8 = 0 //Year var EdidVersion : UInt8 = 0 //EDID Structure Version var EdidRevision : UInt8 = 0 //EDID Structure Revision var VideoInputDefinition : UInt8 = 0 var MaxHorizontalImageSize : UInt8 = 0 //cm var MaxVerticalImageSize : UInt8 = 0 //cm var DisplayTransferCharacteristic : UInt8 = 0 var FeatureSupport : UInt8 = 0 var RedGreenLowBits : UInt8 = 0 //Rx1 Rx0 Ry1 Ry0 Gx1 Gx0 Gy1Gy0 var BlueWhiteLowBits : UInt8 = 0 //Bx1 Bx0 By1 By0 Wx1 Wx0 Wy1 Wy0 var RedX : UInt8 = 0 //Red-x Bits 9 - 2 var RedY : UInt8 = 0 //Red-y Bits 9 - 2 var GreenX : UInt8 = 0 //Green-x Bits 9 - 2 var GreenY : UInt8 = 0 //Green-y Bits 9 - 2 var BlueX : UInt8 = 0 //Blue-x Bits 9 - 2 var BlueY : UInt8 = 0 //Blue-y Bits 9 - 2 var WhiteX : UInt8 = 0 //White-x Bits 9 - 2 var WhiteY : UInt8 = 0 //White-x Bits 9 - 2 var EstablishedTimings : [UInt8] = [UInt8](repeating: 0, count: 3) var StandardTimingIdentification : [UInt8] = [UInt8](repeating: 0, count: 16) var DetailedTimingDescriptions : [UInt8] = [UInt8](repeating: 0, count: 72) var ExtensionFlag : UInt8 = 0 //Number of (optional) 128-byte EDID extension blocks to follow var Checksum : UInt8 = 0 } typealias EDID = EDID_BLOCK ...let you know
    • Wrong    No need to connect any TB device before booting the system. The TBEX 3 get's fully automatically initialised and implemented by OSX as soon a TB or TB XHC USB device will be connected to the already operational macOS system.   >>> https://youtu.be/JSNp75UOfq4 <<<   Give it a try with my SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml properly adapted to your system    Full TB Hot Plug Functionality!    Maybe you also need an update to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 in addition?   Cheers,   KGP
    • Hi @KGP-iMacPro, finally after more than a month some progress! Unfortunately this is not the definitive answer, but it poses other questions.
      What I did not say yesterday, is that once the THB_C cable is removed the Thunderbolt PCI card is not loaded by the system at startup. But if I have a device connected and turned on before boot the PCI card is recognized and loaded correctly, but not only, in this way you have the hotplug of all devices! To make it work, add "PCI-Thunderbolt One" to PXSX/BR1A. It works either with Arbitrary inject or with _DSM method on SSDT (better because the devices can be implemented on the PCI system info).   I use a Thunderbolt dock that turns on when I turn on the computer (to be precise, since I use Fix Shutdown, never turns off like my USB devices), and then the Thunderbolt PCI card is charged every time the computer is started and all the devices after the dock are hotpluggable.   Based on the original Apple SSDT of an iMac18,3, I realized this: SSDT-TB3 V3.zip (Updated version)
      However I do not know if it works correctly on both Thunderbolt ports and USB-C devices. I will do some more tests when we have the final solution.

Obviously as I said, this is not a solution, but it makes clear that the problems with the hotplug derive from the functions that add the THB_C cable, so we are faced with two ways:
      1- Finding the way to make the PCI card load from the system even without a connected THB_C cable
      2- Understand what features this cable provides and whether it can be found in ACPI paths to include it in the SSDT    
    • Hackintosh High Sierra 10.13.3 USB Installer Boot Into USB DIrectly Enter Exit Option Menu. Clover Boot Menu Not Showing. Plz Help .................     My System Specification :

CPU : Core i5 6400
      MB : Asus H110M-CS
      RAM : 8GB DDR 4
      HDD : WD 1TB For Windows And WD 500 GB For Hackintosh
      Bootloader : Clover
    • I think I found a way to use an nvidia helper card... On the internet they say if you cut the end of the PCI-e x1 slot, an x16 PCI-e video card will work in it. I have an 8600gt which works OOB in high sierra, but I'm not sure if I can set it as primary since in bios I have only PEG/PCI or PCI/PEG primary video. Maybe I can set it as primary from DSDT or clover?