How to revise system profile from MacBookPro to MacPro?

PB_863

13 posts in this topic

Total newb here,

I finally managed to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my desktop system a couple of days ago.  But my System profile info reports that it thinks it's a MacBookPro(5,1), which is a laptop!

I think this is causing me problems, so I'd like to change that to MacPro, a desktop system.

How do I do that?

My bootloader is Clover, and I used an auto-patcher to modify my dsdt.aml (which I stored at the root of my startup volume). The file I used with the auto-patcher was MacPro(3,1), but for whatever reason that's not what the System Profiler shows.  I've attached my dsdt.aml file.

I'm a total newbie and I have absolutely no idea how to do this, (or much else, for that matter), so please explain the solution to me as if to a child.

Thanks!

Update: I figured out how to TEMPORARILY enter, at the Clover boot screen, a symbios change to MacPro3,1 - but it reverts to MacBookPro5,1 after every reboot.  So I'm still stuck

dsdt.aml.zip

SMBios.plist.zip

Thanks ever so much, alexanderq and jamiethemorris! :thumbsup_anim:

Your suggestions are extremely helpful!  And since I encountered some hardware problems with my previous boot disk, I just got a new one and will be starting over from scratch; so it's perfect timing to incorporate your sage advice.

Thanks again!

Hello and wellcome to forum.First of all the smbios.plist you provided is from chameleon then i suggest to you to boot

with no dsdt first and let clover to auto detect settings make a boot log or darwindump read here a bit

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home

and then we can talk some more.

Try Clover Configurator, it makes things a lot easier. http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/49-clover-configurator/ Clover is different than Chameleon, all of the settings including the SMBIOS are in the config.plist.

Dear jamiethemorris,

When I followed your link to Clover Configurator 4.10.0, on the right hand side of the page it read: "Compatible with 10.6.x Snow Leopard: No".

However, I am trying to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3!

What should I do?

Try Clover Configurator, it makes things a lot easier. http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/49-clover-configurator/ Clover is different than Chameleon, all of the settings including the SMBIOS are in the config.plist.

Dear jamiethemorris,

When I followed your link to Clover Configurator 4.10.0, on the right hand side of the page it read: "Compatible with 10.6.x Snow Leopard: No".

However, I am trying to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3!

What should I do?

See if it works anyway... If not then you'll have to do things the old fashioned way which isn't the end of the world. Clover has pretty good documentation. Let me know how it goes.

Dear most respected gentlemen (to beseech and refer to you as "gods", however appropriate, seems a little much :P )

The first several pages of the Clover Wiki that you both directed me to were marvelously clear and understandable, at least after some additional external reading to educate myself a bit more.  But then I found myself confused...

Since my Hackintosh's desktop mobo doesn't support UEFI, and therefore doesn't support GPT disks either, I figured I needed to use an MBR partitioned drive to install OSX.  The only boot CD I could find that supported MBR installations and was also compatible with Snow Leopard (10.6.3) was an old Nawcom Mod CD, which worked fine.

Then I downloaded Clover_v2k_r2774.

After reading the first few pages of the Clover Wiki, I followed the instructions at Clover Wiki: Installation for "option A".  I tried a Standard install first, but afterwards it wouldn't boot.  So then I chose a Custom install.  The options I selected were:

-> Bootloader: Install boot0ss in MBR (I later tried boot0af, but that failed too)

-> Clover EFI: CloverEFI 64-bits SATA

-> Drivers64: Ps2MouseDxe-64 + UsbMouseDxe-64

-> Install RC scripts on target volume

-> Install Clover Preference Pane

But I couldn't boot from the hard drive.  I always got a message reading either: "error: boot0ss" or "error: boot0af".

So then I read and re-read and re-read the Configuration page, but unlike earlier pages, that page really doesn't provide any actual guidance for a newb like myself.  So now I'm completely lost, with no idea what to do next!

Would you gentlemen be so kind as to either guide me yourselves or direct me to some truly newbie-level instructions/guides?  I've googled like crazy, but everything I've been about to find has been way over my tiny little head :unsure: !

Not only do I want to change from a MacBookPro 5,1 profile to a MacPro 3,1 profile, but I need to install a multi-resolution nVidia driver for my GT 240 -and- locate and install a driver for my old Adaptec PCI SCSI card so I can read some old removable SCSI ORB and ZIP disks that were created by MacOS 8 (yes, ancient history indeed!)

Hello and wellcome to forum.First of all the smbios.plist you provided is from chameleon then i suggest to you to boot

with no dsdt first and let clover to auto detect settings make a boot log or darwindump read here a bit

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home

and then we can talk some more.

So, alexanderq, I'd be happy to upload/post some log files for you, if you would let me know the paths to the boot log or other logs you'd like to see.  (By the way, I downloaded and tried to run DarwinDumper, but I couldn't figure out how to actually produce a dump or report file -- the Reports folder was empty afterwards).

See if it works anyway... If not then you'll have to do things the old fashioned way which isn't the end of the world. Clover has pretty good documentation. Let me know how it goes.

Now, in response to jamiethemorris's last post, when I downloaded and tried to run Clover Configurator 4.10.0, it came up with a message that says it requires OSX 10.8 or later. I thought about trying to install a later version of OSX, but although I already paid for a later version, I can't download it because Snow Leopard can't use the Apple Store app to download it!  I don't suppose there's any other way to download it?

Anyway, now I'm stuck, and in desperate need of wiser and more knowledgeable minds...

Please take pity on my lowly newbie self... :(

OK first of all you don't need an MBR formatted drive. Normally legacy bios can't boot from got drives, but clover takes care of that for you so it's a non-issue. In the clover installer try the biosblockio option and see if that gets rid of the boot0af error. Also I'm actually not sure if clover can install to an MBR disk. But try that.

Second, for the Mac model the only part you need to worry about at the moment is this part http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/SMBIOS

How are you creating your config.plist? From scratch or did you have clover generate it?

Why doesn't the app store work, what does it say? That should be an easy fix. If you really can't get that working, you can also probably find a torrent of mountain lion or mavericks on just about any torrent site. You can try to get clover configurator working by altering the info.plist inside the app, if you right click and do show package contents, then open contents/macos you should see a line in there about the minimum system version. However I'm guessing snow leopard isn't listed as compatible it's probably for a good reason. Pokenguyen's Hackintosh Vietnam tool has the ability to create clover config.plists so you could also try that if you want.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Clover does have a LOT of options so it can get confusing.

jamiethemorris, I can't thank you enough!  I really appreciate you sticking with me on this!

OK first of all you don't need an MBR formatted drive. Normally legacy bios can't boot from got drives, but clover takes care of that for you so it's a non-issue. In the clover installer try the biosblockio option and see if that gets rid of the boot0af error. Also I'm actually not sure if clover can install to an MBR disk. But try that.

Second, for the Mac model the only part you need to worry about at the moment is this part http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/SMBIOS
How are you creating your config.plist? From scratch or did you have clover generate it?

Why doesn't the app store work, what does it say? That should be an easy fix. If you really can't get that working, you can also probably find a torrent of mountain lion or mavericks on just about any torrent site. You can try to get clover configurator working by altering the info.plist inside the app, if you right click and do show package contents, then open contents/macos you should see a line in there about the minimum system version. However I'm guessing snow leopard isn't listed as compatible it's probably for a good reason. Pokenguyen's Hackintosh Vietnam tool has the ability to create clover config.plists so you could also try that if you want.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Clover does have a LOT of options so it can get confusing.

Thanks for the very helpful info that I don't need to use an MBR-partitioned disk after all.  One of the other reasons I thought I had to use MBR was when I saw the Clover install options: "Install boot0ss/boot0af in MBR".

Anyway, I tried changing from "CloverEFI 64-bits SATA" to "CloverEFI 64-bits BIOSBLockIO", but after I rebooted I still got the message "boot0ss:error".  I'm guessing that this was a left-over effect of previous Clover installs.

What about the idea of me starting over from scratch, and re-install Snow Leopard with a (non-MBR) Boot CD I found earlier, Clover ISO Boot CD (X64 and IA32) v2k r2671? Or can you suggest a better boot CD, if the whole "starting over from scratch" idea has merit?

When it came to the Clover Wiki Page about SMBIOS you pointed me to, I'm afraid I couldn't find a file named anyhing like "SMBIOS" anywhere on my disk, so obviously I can't change it.  Was Clover supposed to create this file?

Moving on, you ask: "How are you creating your config.plist?"  Since I'm too ignorant to create one from scratch, I'm using whatever the Clover installer created, with just a very few changes.  I only changed Boot->Log to True, and changed Graphics->Inject->NVidia to True (and Graphics->Inject->Intel to False).

You then ask: "Why doesn't the app store work, what does it say?"  This is probably another area where my ignorance is fouling me up.  The way I understand it, before you can download a later version of OSX you have to download & install something called the "Apple Store App". I'm told that that app comes pre-installed with later versions of OSX, but is NOT available for Snow Leopard (10.6.3). I googled all over the place, but I couldn't find one for Snow Leopard. I want to stay legal, so I just sent a support request to Apple asking me how to download the Mountain Lion dvd image file or obtain it some other way.

Thanks for the entirely-new-to-me concept of modifying an apps' package contents! Wow!  As a Windows (and old MacOS 8) user, I never would have known that was even possible!  It most likely comes from OSX's heritage as NextStep/Mach, but I was never familiar with UNIX or it's derivatives.

Unfortunately, although changing the minimum system version worked fine, after that it came up with a new complaint: "You can't open the application Clover Configurator 2 because it is not supported on this type of Mac."  So much for that otherwise good idea...

I'm going to look up "Pokenguyen's Hackintosh Vietnam tool", and see what I can do with that.

Thanks again, wise sir!

OK, so I found and downloaded Vietnam Tool v 1.7.4.  The web page states that Snow Leopard 10.6.3 is not supported, but it ran fine anyway.

These are the install options I selected:

> Chameleon - NOTHING selected

-> Clover: Install Clover UEFI
      Config->CPU: Core 2 Duo Desktop

-> SSDT: "Generate"

-> Graphics: nVidia

-> Kexts->System: FakeSMC v5

-> Fixes: NONE

-> Tools: Clover Configurator 4.7
                 DPCIManager
                 Kext Utility
                 Kext Wizard
                 MacIASL
                 XtraFinder

During the installation, I got several error dialogs complaining about AC97 Audio-related kexts, but I figure they're not important, at least at this stage.

After installation, when I tried to reboot from the hard drive I got the same old "boot0ss:error" message.  So it looks like I'm no farther ahead.

I'd like to request more help, please.

Well, since Clover apparently didn't create an SMBIOS.plist file, I found and downloaded something called Lizard Snow and Lion AIO Management 1.0.  It's designed to work with an already-existing SMBIOS.plist file that was generated by Chameleon (which I don't want to use because I want to stay with Clover), but when I ran it, I discovered that it will create one itself!

Here are the options I selected from within Lizard:

Smbios Options:
   Model Name: Mac Pro
   Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
   Manufacturer: <blank>
   CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
   CPU Speed: <blank>
   FSB Speed: <blank>
   Boot ROM Version: MP31.88Z.006C.B02.080121250
   SMBIOS Version <blank>
   Serial Number: Auto-generated
   BIOS Date: <blank>

I had no idea what to enter for those blank lines, nor did I know what Boot ROM version to select, so I kept it at the default value.

This did create a SMBIOS file, which I've uploaded and attached.  By the way, I still can't boot from the hard drive!

For whatever reason (maybe because I still have to use the Nawcom Mod CD to boot?), About This Mac says my Model Identifier is: "OSX86Hack1,1" (I've attached a text version of my System Profile data).

What should I do now?

smbios.plist.zip

My System Profile 25-July-14.txt

Okay, perhaps I've asked for too much.

I want to start over from scratch, and I don't want to use ANYTHING from tony. I now have a Mountain Lion disk image and have burned it to a DVD.

I've seen a large number of Mountain Lion-related guides on several sites, but the only simple guides use tonyx86's stuff, which as I said I will not use.  But everything else I've found has assumed the user has far greater hackintosh knowledge than I currently possess!

Would someone please offer suggestions for a noob like myself to install Mountain Lion (on the hardware listed in my sig), create/modify a DSDT, and SMBIOS, and all the other necessary stuff, and that will use the Clover bootloader?   Thanks!

*I DID IT!!* :thumbsup_anim:

Nevermind, gentlemen, I pretty much entirely succeeded!

Not only was I able to install Mountain Lion with ease, the following are working great:

-The system profiler reports I'm running on a Mac Pro (3,1) as I wanted, with full mobo ,CPU, and RAM support!

- My XFX nVidia GT 240X is not only working perfectly, all the "snow" I had before is completely gone!   :shock:   And I can change resolutions, too!!

- This thing is pretty fast, too!

I spent several days googling for Mountain Lion install guides and tips, in the process of which I read around 100 web pages with generally conflicting recommendations and advice.  It was driving me crazy :blink: !

I found just a few odd references to something call MyHack that looked very promising, but the main web site for it,"myhack.sojugarden.com", is dead. I don't know what happened to the man running that site, but perhaps he gave up out of frustration because so few people donated anything at all.  I sure as hell would, and I will if there's any way to do so!

So I turned to the WayBack Machine, I found all that site and the installation guide I ended up using.  I was able to download MyHack from macdownload.informer.com myhack 3.3

I ran MyHack on the Snow Leopard I had previously installed.  It requires "Mac OS X Install ESD.dmg", in this case for Mountain Lion, and it creates a bootable USB flash drive for the Mountain Lion install.  One thing that was never made explicit to me elsewhere, no matter how much I read, is that no matter what installation guide or technique you use to install ML or later, you MUST use a USB drive.  I tried a few bootable CDs, but while they worked for Snow Leopard, they didn't work for ML.  Anyway, it took much longer than I would have expected to create the bootable flash drive, and it took so long to boot that I almost gave up and rebooted...

The only tiny complaint I had was that the screen resolution during the boot and install was set so ridiculously high that I could barely read anything through the snow! MyHack asked several questions during the install that suggested disabling certain things, but since I couldn't fully make out what those questions were, I just went with the defaults.  Apparently, those were the correct answers, since it's working great!

There's no sound, and under the Audio tab in the System Profiler, the entry is completely blank.  I might see what I can do, but I honestly don't care if I have audio or not.

Well, enough blabbing...

My exceptionally strong and sincere thanks go out to jamiethemorris for his repeated help and his willingness to stick with me, to alexanderq for his response, and finally to MyHack's developer for such an exceptionally valuable tool!