Login screen stuck

uidetiger

8 posts in this topic

Hello to everybody.

I have a strange problem with my 10.4.8 system installed on a ASROCK Dual P4. Everything worked smoothly. I upgraded from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 with the JAS package, afterwards I had a stable system with everything running, sound, applications, etc. It worked fine during several days including restarts, etc.

But without any reason known to me (for sure I did something wrong) the system now shows the login screen where I can select one of my users to login to the system. When I select one the cursor changes showing the rainbow wheel spinning and nothing happens.

I started the computer with the F8 option and I'm able to get the system up with the -s option but when I start with /sbin/rc the system GUI doesn't start up either.

I tried a diskutil repairPermissions but there is no output, same thing with diskutil repairVolume. Finally I canceled the two commands with Ctrl+C.

One thing I did was to install the smb fix but I don't know if I restarted the computer afterwards.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

That's because the 10.4.8 pkg is not a combo update,you can not update from any other build of os x but 10.4.7 with that pkg.

try booting -v -f -x and see if you get to the desktop,if you do try to download my 10.4.7 pkg and use it,then run the 4.8 update over it.

Good luck,

JaS

Hello JaS.

Sorry, I meant 10.4.7. I installed the update on a running 10.4.7 system and the machine worked fine.

I started once again in single user mode trying to boot the system with sh /../rc (the two dots stand for the correct directory). Now it stops saying "Workaround Bonjour: Unknown error: 0".

Hello JaS.

I restarted as indicated by you and the system started. Now I did a normal restart, the system shows the background and in the upper right corner the search symbol. If I move the mouse cursor over the search symbol (sorry I don't know the name of the module now) the cursor changes to the spinning rainbow cursor but nothing more happens.

Hello again.

Safe Boot works but normal boot fails. In the meanwhile I reinstalled the JaS 10.4.8 update package. When I restart the system the login screen appears but after selecting a user and facilitating the password the system seems to hang.

Don't know why and how, but my system is working again. I activated automatic login and everything works fine. A little bit strange.

Thanks a lot for the comments and for the -v -f -x startup option, JaS. This saved my system because I didn't want to reinstall all.