InsanelyMac Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tiberio Galbiati

Macbook pro modding ideas

Hi folks,

My macbook pro 17" early 2011 is broken and in order to repair it the Apple premium reseller asked me 900€. So i'm going to sell it for spare parts or maybe try to modd it and create a hackbook, so what do you think i could do with the case, the lcd, the speakers and maybe the keyboard if is not broken as the service said of my dead macbook?

Actually I have only one idea: the 17" led lcd is awesome so i could use it as a monitor, in fact I have yet succeed in making an external monitor from a laptop ( in the photo is the third from left).

i need a LVDS controller and on ebay there are some, also for the lcd of the macbook that is a LP171WU6-TLA1

for example do you think that this could work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-DVI-VGA-Audio-Board-17-1inch-1920-1200-LP171WU6-TLA1-2-LP171WU6-TLB1-2-/190950252722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item722280c2d4

in my opinion is too big because I would like to hide it inside the macbook and use the magsafe modded with an adaptor to 12V

or what do you think I could build with my macbook?

I will sell the ram, the fried logic board but i think the lcd, superdrive, wi-fi and bluetooth and other parts I could recycle in a modding project.

thank you in advance for help and any suggestions.

Tiberio

post-1087351-0-73944300-1404581383_thumb.jpg

Advertisement

Hello!

Depending on your residence, which you don´t tell, have you asked at a common notebook repair service, how much there is the fee for a repair? The service of Apple premium resellers is overpriced.

Even Stevie has told at his life time, if I am correct, that he would like all people, which are buying the very cheap produced hardware for an by far overpriced amount.

I think, that your MBP has been to expensive to disassemble it in it´s parts.

Have fun.

What exactly is broken on the MacBook? If you're going as far as to disassemble the thing it might be worth a try to repair it yourself depending on what the problem is.