Is this PC compatible with OS X?

iHero96

4 posts in this topic

I have this wonderful PC with Windows 8.1 and i was wondering if it supports Mac OS X. Here there are the main specs:

• Motherboard: MSI Z77 G43
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k with Intel HD4000
  • GPU: Sapphire HD7870
  • SSD: Samsung 840 Pro

Another thing, should I install it using UEFI or Legacy BIOS? Thanks a lot!

Yes that's highly compatible, including sound and network. I can't speak for your Radeon GPU though, I don't keep up with those. Look around and see if anyone else has the 7870 working on OS X. If it works, you'll need Mavericks, it's too new to work on older versions of OS X.

If you aren't actually using the HD4000 make sure that you can completely disable it in the BIOS. If you need it enabled, it must be set as primary display device in the BIOS in order to coexist with your HD7870 on OS X, which of course sucks especially if you like to play games. But unfortunately them's the breaks.

If you're already in UEFI mode, keep it that way and use the Clover bootloader. You'll break your Windows installation if you change to legacy mode.

I highly recommend getting a second hard drive for OS X. It's much easier using a dedicated drive than shoehorning Clover and OS X onto a drive that already has Windows on it. Of course it can be done but if I were you I'd save myself the headache.

Yes of course you can. I still can't speak for your video card though, you'll have to research how to get that working, if possible.

Any conventional retail installation guide will do (see the Genius Bar sub-forum) you won't need to do any modifications to OS X itself at all, except for patching AppleHDA.kext to drive your ALC892.

A copy of the Mavericks Installer from the App Store,  access to a Mac or working Hackintosh, an 8GB flash drive, Boot loader (Clover if you're in UEFI mode), fakesmc.kext and an iMac13,1 smbios.plist, that's enough to get you started.

Look at a couple of guides on how to build an OS X installer on a flash drive. You'll see that they are all pretty much identical.

If you don't have access to a Mac or working Hack you'll need to find a way to run OS X in a virtual machine on Windows so that you can build the installer. See the "multibooting and virtualization" sub-forum for more information on how to run OS X in a VM.