container-dmg=file - how to disable?

pfilipp

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys, 

it's been a while since I posted my last topic. Today I tried to upgrade my existing OSX 10.9.3 installation directly into 10.10 DP1. The problem is that I can reach the upgrade screen with progress bar but it freezes there. As my system was not modyfied yet I would like to revert changes. I noticed that OSX receives some additional flags during boot - more than Clover gives him. One of the flags is "container-dmg=file=[here_comes_URL_to_Base_System_dmg]" and it keeps my system from regular boot... 

I tried to erase NVRAm but it didn't help. 

Anyone knows how to delete this container flag?

Thanks in advance!

PS. I made an image of my entire system and guess what... HDD I used for backup is corrupted - it is unbootable...

You just need to copy BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist from InstallESD.dmg root to your Installer USB's root. i.e. Open Terminal and go(mind the spaces):

sudo cp [Drag in InstallESD partition here]/Base* [Drag in installer root]/

So, for me, it was :

sudo cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Base* /Volumes/Installer

You didn't understand my problem. I don't have any kind of installer. I have only bare 10.9.3 OS X and started installation from within my working system. Now it doesn't boot because there is "hard-coded" boot flag "container-dmg" while booting. 

• 5 months later...

I know this is a late reply, but I imagine there are people out there hitting this page from a web search only to find no answer.

Here's what I think has happened:  In attempting the 10.10 upgrade, you ran the installer while in 10.9 and the LAST step of that installer was something called "bless"ing the partition in order to force it to load the 'container-dmg' on the next boot.  The problem is you can't complete the 10.10 install which would normally undo this.

You need to somehow un-bless the disk.  You can do this by booting into OSX Recovery by holding Cmd-R at startup.  Then when you are in Recovery, click on the Apple icon at the top left and and go to "Startup Disk".  Then of course you select your startup disk and reboot.  This is what worked for me, except my problem was with a 2011 MBP with a failed GPU.  I had to create a recovery USB stick without the ATI/AMD drivers so that I could boot into recovery :).  Hope this helps.