Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Changing MAC address on Mac OS X 10.9.2.

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I want to change mac address of wifi card of my Macbook air 11.6" version 2013 which has already updated to use mac os x 10.9.2.

Firstly, i used the command:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether <my new mac address>

en0 is my wifi card. But i think it didn't work.

When i used command

ifconfig en0

i could see that mac address of en0 changed to <my new mac address> but Wi-Fi address showed on Network Preferences > Advanced > Wi-fi is still the origin mac address of my Wi-Fi card.

Do you know anyway to know for sure what is the current mac address of your wifi card?

After that i tried to port some code of Macchanger from GNU (http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/macchanger/) to my mac so that i could try to change mac address with this software (it basically use ioctl to change mac address). I could make it run but i fear that may damage my hardware. I'm very new to mac and linux development.

Do you know how to change mac address programmatically for mac os x 10.9.2?

Do you know anyway which differ from my ways to change mac address for my wifi card on Mac os x 10.9.2?

Thank you for reading.

Any response will be appreciated.

Mac is not a Linux and this methods will not work.
Mac-address for a LAN card got from the driver by calling a method getHardwareAddress[/size]
For example a part of Realtek LAN driver

IOReturn RealtekR1000::getHardwareAddress(IOEthernetAddress *addr)

if (!board_inited)
		return kIOReturnNotReady;
	for (uchar i = 0; i < ETHER_ADDR_LEN ; i++)
		addr->bytes[i] = ReadMMIO8(MAC0 + i);
	return kIOReturnSuccess;

I can rewrite this driver to make new address but this is only for this driver.