"Clean" Mavericks installation into VirtualBox?

6 posts in this topic

To begin, I own a Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Macbook, iPad, iPhone, Airport Express, Airport Extreme, and so on. I have a legal retail (PAID) copy of every single version of OS X back to 10.1.

Please do not waste my time telling me to buy the software, run it on a Mac, or anything else like that. I have read it over and over and over and over and OVER looking for information. I can't find what I need, but I can find 100 forum posts where everyone is EXTREMELY concerned about Apple's profit margins. I get it. So, just to confirm: I OWN IT.

I own a retail copy of every version going back to 10.1. Apple pressed media or officially owned from the App Store. Paid for with US currency, cash money. OWNED.

--

Is there any way to install Mac OS X into VirtualBox without the EFI workarounds? I would like to keep a VM going between my notebook and recently built desktop, but VirtualBox will not install OS X giving me the error:

This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!

Reason: VirtualBox

I would like to install it without Clover, Chameleon, rEFIt, or any other workarounds that change the software running inside the VirtualBox container. If I do need to use something, I want to download it from a known reputable source: No forums posts with unknown sources, no MediaFire/DropBox links to unknown sources, or "guides" written by anonymous third parties, uploads contributed by unknown third parties or people with a "forum" reputation, etc.

I want to install it from a PAID retail copy downloaded from the App Store. I do not want to download a version modified by an unknown third party. It is horrificially insecure to just download a random utility from an unknown source to execute on your system. There are malware reports all over about the VMs contacting IPs they shouldn't after using them so I won't be.

Thank you in advance.

• 3 months later...

As far as I know VirtualBox contains HFS+ driver implementation that does not support hard links which is needed for installation. So, Mavericks can not be installed in VirtualBox just like that.

If you do not want to use Chameleon or Clover, then you could try:

- prepare VirtualBox and install SnowLeo, Lion or ML in it

- install Mavericks on real comp on a separate partition (could be even USB dongle)

- use DiskUtil to make dmg image of installed Mavericks

- create new disk in VirtualBox, start SL/Lion/ML in it VirtualBox and then extract installed Mavericks dmg to new VirtualBox disk

P.S.

interesting nick by the way :)

I have been doing this for some time. I don't see the need for the hacks and workarounds, I will document what I have done and post back.

Donk,

I have not used VirtualBox so if you want me to try out your document, let me know.

As far as I know VirtualBox contains HFS+ driver implementation that does not support hard links which is needed for installation. So, Mavericks can not be installed in VirtualBox just like that.

Dude,

I just did this, following the exact instructions from the link, so either you're wrong, or I don't understand what you're saying?

Yes, it's a distro, so NO, you probably can't from original Apple DVD, without first mounting a bootable kernel on a separate disk.

But why would you? Go through all the hassle of tuning your OSX to VB VM use, by messing around with all sorts of Kexts?