inspiron 6400 issues

fruitylooper

9 posts in this topic

ive got osx86 10.4.6 working fine on my dell inspiron 6400 (same as e1505) except for the internal sound and wireless. ive seen everybody with this laptop has the same problems. just wondering if anybody has found a solution or if updating to 10.4.8 would help. the system aslo goes into sleep and never comes back when i close the lid but this bothers me less.

also, whats the deal with core duo and osx86? will it ever work properly? mine works but performance in logic is worse than if i disable 1 core. strangely, cinebench results suggest both cores working fine with an increase of x1.8 using two cores over one. even more strange though is the fact that i get a higher cinebench score in osx than in xp - this doesnt make sense to me.

Your sound and wireless problems are driver related and updating to 10.4.8 won't solve it.

To wake up from sleep, try pressing the power button, this works sometimes.

The Core Duo problem is in the kernel for OSX. In order to run OSX on a PC, it needs to run a hacked kernel and the one we are running is from 10.4.4 - before Core Duo was invented. No one has successfully hacked a kernel newer than the one from 10.4.4. And the person who did that has disappeared from the scene.

What is the brand and model of your wireless - like Intel 3945ABG or Broadcom 4320

What is the brand and model of your sound - like Realtek 882 or Sigmatel 9200 or Soundmax 1981

There is no driver for the 3945ABG. Some people have purchased and installed replacement cards - Dell (1390 and 1450), Broadcom and Atheros cards. Search the forums for "3945" and you will find many threads on the subject. Or you can get a USB wireless device. Check out the Compatibility lists here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/

Sound involves two chips - the codec chip and the controller chip. You can get the vendor id and device id of each chip in Windows.

In Windows, go to Device Manager. In Sound, Video and Game Controllers, find an entry with a name brand (like Sigmatel, Soundmax, Realtek, etc). Get Properties on it and click the Details tab. You will find the VEN and DEV for your codec chip.

Then in Device Manager, go to System Devices and look for Microsoft UAA Bus Driver. Get Properties and click the Details tab. You will find the VEN and DEV for the controller chip.

thanks for the info.

it doesnt look hopeful that core duo will work anytime soon then.

my wireles is intel 3945ABG and my sound is sigmatel but i cant work out work model it is.

pressing the power button does nothing when in sleep

I have a Inspiron to. Go to System Preferences- Energy saver, and in sleep: Put the computer to sleep: never

Only put the screen on sleep.