10.4.6 intel stops at blue screen

kpitstupidsimple

15 posts in this topic

I just got done installing OSX 10.4.6 (the hotiso version with the patches) on my Pentium D 940 system. I reboot and it loads the grey background loading screen with the apple logo, and then it loads a cursor and the blue background, but it doesn't give me that 'your system is loading' message or anything, just a blue screen with a moveable cursor.

I made sure to install the intel patches.

I've got an nvidia 7900gt. I think there's a chance that the video could be the problem? I read guides that say to pass ?video to the boot prompt, but I don't get a prompt, just output that it's loading, then starting the system, but no pause for input. Is that a problem also?

(I'm new to the whole OSX world...so thanks for bearing with my noobliness.)

Thanks in advance.

What motherboard do you have?

The ?video just quizzes the video card for the resolutions it supports under VESA mode (no driver mode). It doesn't "fix" anything.

To get a prompt, you have to hit F8 at the right time during boot. When OSX boots, the screen turns black and then grey with a spinning icon. As soon as the screen turns black, start tapping the F8 key quickly and repeatedly until a command prompt appears.

To test it out, when you get the prompt, type: -v (hit Enter)

This will put you in verbose mode and messages will display during boot. What error messages do you see? What messages are displayed right before it stops?

Sweet! like a game almost haha.

I'll give it another go.

Thanks for the help so far.

I win! First try.

I get two pertinent errors:

a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

and subsequently

display: family specific matching fails

So it is a problem with my nvidia card.

Did I miss an nvidia patch in the osx installer? I saw an ati one but I didn't notice an nvidia one.

Or do I just need to pass a different resolution or something similar?

EDIT: fixed code tags.

Nvidia cards don't really use the drivers in OSX. If you want a driver, you will have to investigate the Macvidia driver ( http://macvidia.starchaser.org ) after you successfully boot.

To help you boot, let's move that GeForce.kext out of the way.

Instead of typing -v at the prompt, type -s at the prompt. This will boot you up to a command prompt in OSX.

In OSX, at the prompt, type:

mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions
mkdir nvidia_backup
mv  GeForce.kext nvidia_backup/
cd /System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext
rm -rf Extensions.kextcache
reboot

This moves that offending kext to a backup folder and then tells OSX to prepare for life without it.

a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMLANAudio.kext

a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext

Same deal with those? move them to a backup folder?

No. Try to repair permissions on them.

Boot into single user mode (-s) and type:

mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions

Then repeat the following for each of the above kexts, type:

find (name-of-kext) -type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} \;
find (name-of-kext) -type f -exec /bin/chmod 0644 {} \;

example: find AudioIPCDriver.kext -type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} \;

Then type: reboot

I already moved them to the backup folder, I'll move them back now.

At that point, with the second two kexts out of the picture, I still get the "family specific matching fails" error.

Doing it now :-)

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm out for tonight. School tomorrow.

thanks a ton.

Update: I brought back the two audio kexts, and changed the permissions without any error.

BUT I don't know that it worked. I'm still getting all three errors i've been having: link/load errors for the two audio kexts and the 'family specific matching fails'

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

BUT I don't know that it worked. I'm still getting all three errors i've been having: link/load errors for the two audio kexts and the 'family specific matching fails'

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

No, nothing obvious.

The permissions repair has been around since March 2006 ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=82496 )

The stopping at blue screen for a desktop machine (blue screen in laptop is different problem) has been around for a while and I've never seen a published solution for it. Suggestions are made and tried with no success and then the thread dies. I have noticed it seems to be the newer Nvidia cards involved - like 6600, 7300, 7900. I suspect they are the culprit but I can't prove it. It would be interesting to see what happens if all GeForce* files and NV* files in the Extensions folder were moved to the backup folder.

Other than that, there is always messing around with BIOS. Turn off all things audio related and tweak all things video related.

Hey man

Dunno if you fixed your problem, but i got the same after updating from 10.4.3 to 10.4.6.

I realised after i rebooted on the cd that i missed the patches.

I needed the sse2 patch on the cd.

After that it worked fine.

Try with jas patch.