8400 GS..simple right? Nope

Lotustar

20 posts in this topic

Could REALLY use some help from the gurus out there. I have a PNY 8400GS 512 PCI card I cannot get working properly. I've used this card before without problems but now...who knows. The problem is I can't get any resolution choices besides the 1024x768 and obviously no qe/ci. But! In safe mode I get the many resolution choices except when I choose my monitor resolution the screen goes blue and stays that way. Makes me think a kext problem. Also I am using VGA connection. My monitor has no DVI. Here's what I've tried:

Nvenabler

Nvinject

Nvkush

Efi strings

Added Id to nvdan50hal. Nvdan40hal, nvdoresman

Misc boot flags

Specs:

Asus p5n-e sli mobo

PNY 8400gs 512 PCI 0x06e4 VGA/DVI

3G ram

Aiktos s3 v2

This would be a perfect install if I could just get this card working properly. Have a sneaking suspicion it's nvdan50hal. PLEASE anybody that can help. Spent all weekend on this. Thanks!

Thanks for replying fantomas. I will give it a read! :-). Have A feeling if it's not kext related then it's VGA problem. I bet the dvi output is working just fine. But I need a dvi to VGA adapter to tell. Sigh.

Ok I've gone through a ton of posts and guides, got a dvi to vga adapter, and spent hours on this. Surely someone has an idea how to get this card working. It supposed to work out of box. GraphicsEnabler=Yes does not work. As do all the other boot flags I've tried. My card is listed in efi studio but I get black screen after trying that unless I use -x for safe boot. Then my mouse goes crazy and backwards. I've tried soooo many kexts but still no joy. This is a PNY 8400 gs 512 PCI with VGA and dvi. 0x064e. Iatkos s3 v2 using chameleon rc4 (but have tried them all), and I never choose any kexts on install besides nforce sata for my mobo (no ahci in my bios). Booting in 32 bit. PLEASE someone help. I've been member here for years and done MANY hackintoshes. This card situation is ridiculous.

Yep. Got a dvi to vga adapter. Same old bs. I updated to 10.6.7 also. Still a no go. If I boot in safe mode it's better and I actually have resolution choices all the way to 1400x900 and that's what my monitor will do. This has gone way past ridiculous. And I've used this card in a hp pavilion a6030n with amd 64. Full resolution and qe/ci! I will give those links you posted a read but chances are I've read them. Thanks so much for your reply.

Ok I will try that. Now I have done that before with nvdanv50 and nvdrasman(I didn't spell that right) and got black screen and had to reinstall because I couldn't boot back to safe mode. Ok so now I have no efi strings or injectors and I'm gonna add id to the two kexts you just mention. Will post back in a bit. Fingers crossed. Btw, I have no com.apple.boot.plist in my extra folder. Always did before. Now it's in L/S/P/S. Stock place I'm assuming. Make a difference?

Made no difference adding id to nvdanv50 and GeForce.kext. Tried booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes as well. No change. At least I didn't get stuck on a black screen this time though. Ugh. Two weekends now I have spent on this. There has to be a solution.

Unfortunately my internet is down right now so I can't send you those. I don't use dsdt either. Posting this on my phone.

What really frakkin sucks is that efi studio lists my card and I write to boot.plist and boot back up I do get back to desktop but it doesn't all load and I can't click a single thing. Also my mouse pointer moves backward and jumps all over the place. So it's a real pain to remove efi string with a mouse doing that even in safe boot.

I know. A vanilla install is always better. But I don't choose anything but nforce under sata for my mobo. Have no ahci option. And I've used distros many times without a problem. So who knows. May have to just give this up. I hate being defeated by this card. Grrrr.

@ Lotustar

No explicit AHCI option in BIOS is not an issue...........invariably on nForce MOBOs with a BIOS that does not have an explicit SATA Controller Mode with an AHCI mode setting, enabling RAID but disabling each SATA RAID channel in BIOS (assuming that you are not using a RAID setup) implicitly enables AHCI mode........

Pre_Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2.pdf

See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/263931-nforce-os-x-lion-107-app-store-download-install-guide-on-a-series-6-or-7-nforce-chipset-intel-cpu-mobo/?p=1725686 re graphics card operation.....

Oh wow thanks verdant! I didn't know that. I was trying to install iatkos L2 and ran into the dreaded still waiting for root device issue. So I bet setting raid up that way would work. Then maybe lion would handle my 8400gs a bit better. Gonna check those links. Thanks man! ;-)

Ok I'm totally lost on this raid thing. I'm not sure I can disable "channels". I can disable sata ports and there is a place on my mobo to enable raid. Under enable raid it shows my 4 sata ports and has enable or disable under them. Also there is a place that says sata 1,2 and then sata 3,4 channels. And under those something about dma. I'm confused here.

@ Lotustar

Your Asus p5n-e sli MOBO has a 650i chipset, so match all your BIOS parameter settings that match the corresponding BIOS parameters for the 650i BIOS settings for OS X, that I have listed in my nForce BIOS template attached to my previous post.....

Well Verdant, I followed EXACTLY the mobo settings and it made no difference. Also, I have no option for AHCI under Jmicron. So I just chose enabled. Still, iatkos S3 installs no problem with nforce sata option and boots fine. Graphics still a no go. Stuck at 1024x768 no matter what I try. Trying to install iatkos L2 to correct this and maybe have a bit more current system still no go. Install is fine when I use the nforce sata package from iatkos S3 on my usb installer but post install I get waiting for root device after a long string that mentions something about uuid and IOResource something or other. There is no option on iatkos L2 for nforce sata. Tried all the other sata options on install. Even all at once. Ugh. So I don't know. Maybe it's time to just quit. But I can't!! Have to know why this why work. Bugs me.

UPDATE: Managed to update to 10.6.8 with combo updates. Also found a 64 bit kext for nforce sata. So no more arch=i386. Was hoping that would let me use nvenabler64 since I'm booting 64 bit now but no. Same old same old. Most things I try give me a black screen. So then I have to boot -x to remove whatever I did. And with a jumpy out of control pointer. What a pain. What could be causing this!!!? SOMEONE out there has to know. Please?

Try DSDT GFX0 and DTGP etc. patching.....