Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade or Start New Build?

2 posts in this topic

Work has been good and provided me with a MacBook Pro for the last few years, currently it's a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro. Because of this I have put off doing much to my old Desktop at home. I play some games on it, but for the most part it just sits there. I will be changing jobs and will have to turn in my laptop. I only have $300 to put into a computer at this time, working on paying off some debt, and I am wondering, do I upgrade or start a new build?

This is my current setup:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7300

RAM: 6GBs DDR2 800

If I were to start a new build I would need to carry over my Graphics card, but I could pickup a low end i5 and 8GBs of RAM. 

When looking at the i5 is it worth going Haswell? I have read that Broadwell won't be compatible with current Haswell MOBOs.

Again, this is used for light gaming. Mainly Sims 3 (with my 5 year old) LEGO games, some Skyrim and Civ 5.

Is your plan to turn it into a Mac? If not, you can just upgrade the HDD to an SSD and you'll instantly feel a system boost if you also upgrade to Win8.1