Dual boot Mavericks and Windows 8.1 AND virtualize Windows partition

k7k

5 posts in this topic

I'm trying to run my currently existing Windows 8.1 SSDs with my Mavericks harddrive using Parallels. Currently Parallels doesn't see my Windows partition so I don't know where to start. I searched on the topic but I've been getting posts from 2007.

I also want to be able to keep my dual boot option handy. But being able to run both side by side would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

So I did some more research and it seems that in order to do both dual booting and virtualization, parallels needs a boot camp partition that it can use. However, boot camp (from what I've learned) does not work on a hackintosh (firmware issues, etc.). So is there any way to force parallels to recognize my current windows installation so that I can use it within Mavericks and/or boot Windows by itself (for gaming, taking advantage of native hardware/drivers, etc.)?

I feel like this would be a HUGE thing for those of us that dual boot our hackintosh setups. I also feel like this should be a highly known or requested feature. Let me know what you guys think!

This is the exact setup i'm running. It works just as you described. dual boot from chameleon selection screen, parallels with window 8 from OSX

so you can dual boot from chameleon or clover. but the problem is that parallels doesn't see your "bootcamp" window partition/drive.

parallels saw my windows drive and gave me an option to use that as bootcamp. from my osx, i was able to read my windows drive as well. I have not setup my osx with any bootcamp. but to parallels any windows install is a bootcamp.

this is what you want to see

parallels_wizard_620px.png

so i'm assuming it's how you install your windows os as…. EFI or traditional.

Disconnect all drives except the Windows 8 drive-to-be.
When you boot Win8 install DVD on a UEFI BIOS mainboard, Win8 wants to install UEFI. Unfortunately, if it does this Chimera/Chameleon can't "see" the boot files. There are at least 2 ways to prevent this. One way, when you boot with the install DVD in the tray, hit F8/F11/F12 or whatever the Function key is that allows you to select a boot device during the BIOS POST. You will find that your DVD shows up twice - once as SATA and once as UEFI. Choose the SATA. You do not want the UEFI. Another is to disable UEFI in the BIOS. Some BIOSes have an option for boot mode with the selections: Legacy, Legacy or UEFI, UEFI. Selecting the Legacy option forces non EFI installation.
For a complete install to use all of the Win8 features (recommended), at the select partition screen of the installer, delete all of the partitions, select the unallocated space and click Next. The installer will take it from there.

See http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...-a.html?filter[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup

Note: If you do not want the System Reserved partition, then pre-format the drive with the C-partition-to-be MSDOS FAT with OS X disk utility, then format it NTFS when in the Win8 installer or use your favorite 3rd party disk management tool to partition it NTFS, then install Win8.

When you have both your ML and Win8 installed, shutdown, connect all drives, boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in HDD boot order.

I'm trying to run my currently existing Windows 8.1 SSDs with my Mavericks harddrive using Parallels. Currently Parallels doesn't see my Windows partition so I don't know where to start. I searched on the topic but I've been getting posts from 2007.

I also want to be able to keep my dual boot option handy. But being able to run both side by side would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks for the reply. I finally got it to work. For me the issue was that Mavericks couldn't see my hardware RAID 0 drives. So I just split them up and put one OS on each. Coherence mode is absolutely amazing. My only issue now is when I drag Windows 8 windows around the redraw effect is there. It's kinda like when you're dragging app windows around on a very slow computer. I have however, dedicated more than enough resources to the virtual machine. This slow effect doesn't happen with any of my windows in Mavericks. Does anyone else have the same issue with Parallels? And have any idea how to fix it?