AppleHDA.kext and Laptop Subwoofer. AKA 2.1 audio.

Kuebeker

102 posts in this topic

...." Sudo getdump > voodoodump.txt

Sudo: getdump: command not found" ...

That means you didn't install the get dump command. It's installed automatically into usr/local/bin when you run the voodoohda installer package in my previous post. 

Here's are the steps:

1. Backup and Delete AppleHDA from S/L/E

2. Delete AppleHDADisabler from S/L/E

3. Install voodoohda2.8.4 package from previous #73

4. Install latest voodoohda (see attached) with kext wizard

5. Repair permissions and kext cache with kext wizard

6. Restart

7. After restart, open terminal and type:

getdump > voodoodump.txt

8. Attach the voodoodump.txt file in your user folder

I don't recommend using AppleHDADisabler kext and always repair permissions and cache after making any changes to S/L/ extensions

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

That means that you didn't install the getdump command. First of all, do you have an admin account? You shouldn't need sudo for this command.

Second, to verify that it's not installed, type 

ls /usr/local/bin

If you don't see getdump in the resulting list, then it's not installed. 

How does the sound work with voodoohda? Do all of the devices work properly? Which ones are disabled when others are plugged in?

Also, after that, try deleting voodoohda and installing the AppleHDA from post #73 with kext wizard (repair cache and such after install and then reboot).

Does everything work with it? There are some slight differences between how voodoo is tracing the nodes and how I am

Sorry for not responding earlier, here's the dump. Codec is an IDT 92HD81B1X5.

So the first zip attached is the patched 10.10.4 AppleHDA from Mirone's github page (https://github.com/Mirone/AppleHDA_10.10.4). I think it'll still work in 10.10.5 but don't take my word for it. 

It doesn't appear that you're external mic/line in is enabled in it though so I took the 10.10.5 AppleHDA, implemented Mirone's config to it, and made a few changes to enable it (2nd attachment). 

You should have 4 devices: internal speakers, headphones, internal microphone, and external microphone (line in). 

All of those devices except the internal mic are EAPD devices so you'll probably need to use EAPDFix or CodecCommander in addition to this patched AppleHDA to get those to work properly.

Try them both and let me know how they work. I believe that all but the ext mic should work with mirone's assuming 10.10.4 AppleHDA will work in the 5th update and hopefully all 4 will work with mine

Btw, layout id = 3 in both kexts for any hdaenablers you're using (or dsdt or boot loader)

AppleHDA-272.18.1-IDT92HD81B1X5.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Mirone's kext, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to get the subwoofer on the bottom of the laptop working (I put my ear next to it and no output). I think it will require extra patching; in Arch Linux I had to edit the alsa config to set snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv7-4000 to get the subwoofer properly working.

I've been using Mirone's kext, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to get the subwoofer on the bottom of the laptop working (I put my ear next to it and no output). I think it will require extra patching; in Arch Linux I had to edit the alsa config to set snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv7-4000 to get the subwoofer properly working.

That's exactly what I said I'm my previous post. Try the one I patched (see last post)

Ok, I'm thinking the  binary patching or something isn't working right. Try this one. 

If it doesn't work, I've attached the codec config, modified layout3 and Platforms (all patched already) if you want to give it a shot with the compiling and stuff.

Here's a good guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295001-guide-to-patch-applehda-for-your-codec/

AppleHDA.kext.zip

layout3.xml

Platforms.xml

codecconfig.txt

Unfortunately seems to be the same result, it's properly patched, but the subwoofer doesn't work still.

Is this with the applehda from the previous post or patching applehda yourself with the other files from the last post?

If it still isn't working, voodoohda is always an option

• 7 months later...

AFAIK separate channel in OSX is impossible. Any audio player produces only 2 channel stream: left and right. I mean analog sound say nothing about digital.

It is possible and it is used at real MacBook

they use DSP functions from DSP Kernel Lib to produce additional channels from stereo

Russian topic https://applelife.ru/threads/dsp-funkcii-v-applehda-i-osvkerndsplib-kext.1194341/

ioclasscount | grep DspFunc

DspFunc = 3

DspFunc2To4Splitter = 2

DspFunc6ChOutput = 1

etc

but still no idea how to use it and create working kext ((

and here is the 6 channel output

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/176-experimental-6-channel-applehda-for-alc889/

Subwoofer in Platforms Path Map

<key>Channels</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Channel</key>

<integer>4</integer> // 1 2 - are stereo or front , 4 - Sub! , 5 6 - Surround Channels if present ( 3 is Center channel in theory but never seen it in Apple's files)

<key>Bind</key>

<integer>0</integer>

</dict>

</array>

more DSPs used for SubWoofer:

DspFunc2Dot1Crossover 

DspFunc2Dot2Crossover 

DspFunc2To4Splitter 

DspFunc2To6Splitter 

DspFunc2WayCrossover 

DspFunc3ChOutput 

I've also tried to make a 6 channel kext, but there is no discrete 6 channel only 2 channels on all outputs something like fake surround, you can control the volume from all channels but no discrete 6 channel. I've tried VLC and the Apple DVD player. It seems that this patch is only good for 2.1 Laptops or MP3 file at 5.1 systems

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello i have a dell 7559 with 10.12.6 running and everything working except the goddamn subwoofer at the back of my laptop.I use clover alc269 ,is there any chance i could make my subwoofer work,is this the correct guide to follow?

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I'm going to attempt to bring this thread back to life  :lol:

I'm trying to get the subwoofer in my Dell Inspiron 15 7567 working...Now I've tried to get it to work before, and I've put a fair amount of work into this. 

So far, I've successfully tested the subwoofer speaker node, and it works beautifully. Everything else on my AppleHDA also works (speakers, mic, etc.). My 2 channel speakers work, and my single channel "subwoofer speaker" works, but I'm not too sure how to put them together into 6/3 channel audio (since each one is working only by itself in a single dummy kext). 

Speaking of the 6/3 channel audio, I've found some references in the native AppleHDA layouts mentioning 3 channel audio "DspFunc3Channel" (or something like that) with 2.1 surround...Maybe we can get it working this way? 

The only part I need assistance with is how to bind / associate both of these nodes together to be able to have it be in one patched AppleHDA kext!

I find it somewhat tricky because BOTH of the speakers only have a Pin Complex node and an output node (no mixer node), so I can't really "plug-and-chug" with the values that have worked with other users...(mainly AREOS)

If anyone could help (@AREOS  :D) me to setup the PathMaps, that would be extremely appreciated! 

If I could get this working I would be willing to write a guide on how to do it for other people as well!  :D

Thank you!

-Duncan 

• 6 months later...
On 30 апреля 2016 г. at 12:16 PM, wern apfel said:

I've also tried to make a 6 channel kext, but there is no discrete 6 channel only 2 channels on all outputs something like fake surround, you can control the volume from all channels but no discrete 6 channel. I've tried VLC and the Apple DVD player. It seems that this patch is only good for 2.1 Laptops or MP3 file at 5.1 systems

The topic is not fake surround, it is 2.1 and Suvwoofer, and it works OK

the most of MP3 are stereo files and do not require 5.1 output

On 11 октября 2017 г. at 2:46 AM, AGuyWhoIsBored said:

.Maybe we can get it working this way? 

The only part I need assistance with is how to bind / associate both of these nodes together to be able to have it be in one patched AppleHDA kext!

Yes, it uses DSP3Channel 

Bind Channel

1 ------1

2-------2

for Stereo

and

0-------4

for Sub

look at real MacBook's Platform XML

Edited by Rodion2010