InsanelyMac Forum
Simonej

X79 Motherboard Advice

Hi,

I'm looking for one motherboard that working well and almost "out of box", I noticed two models; Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 or ASRock Xtreme 6, I already had experience with Gigabyte.

I need DSDT? I need special kext? (Except LAN)

GA-X79-UP4: (similar to mine GA-Z87N-WiFI, without DSDT and special kext)

-ALC892=Work with kext

-Fresco FL1009=Work

-Marvell 88SE9172=work

-Lan=Work with kext

ASRock Xtreme 6:

-ALC898=Work with kext

-ASMedia ASM1042=works? with kext?

-ASMedia ASM1061=works? with kext?

-Lan BCM57781=Is working (well? )with kext edit?

I've also seen ASUS X79 Deluxe, more expensive but same situation of ASRock.

What do you think? Experience with ASRock?

Thanks

Simone

Advertisement

I've bought ASrock boards for my AMD builds, and at a lower cost they are amazing for the price! But do you sacrifice something in the build quality somewhere that can bite you. For me it's always been PWM designs on the cheaper boards which really will only affect high overclocking. As long as you're not doing a serious overclock, quality wise you would be fine with AsRock.

Thank you for your instructions. No, I'm not interested to overclock.

vbetts, what changes did you have to do to use OSX with your ASRock? 

Rampege (X79 Guru ;) ), I follow your blog from months, I have already downloaded dmg, but I'm looking for the best card X79 cheaper but most compatible (and I like to understand / learn what I do).

from what I see in DMG ASMedia ASM1061 is native with OS X and ASMedia ASM1042 need kext?

I can't speak as far as Intel builds go, but really the only thing I've had to do as far as network and audio go is use Voodoohda for my audio. Sleep and speed step is a little different on AMD, but those were easy fixes too.

Thank you for your instructions. No, I'm not interested to overclock.

vbetts, what changes did you have to do to use OSX with your ASRock? 

Rampege (X79 Guru ;) ), I follow your blog from months, I have already downloaded dmg, but I'm looking for the best card X79 cheaper but most compatible (and I like to understand / learn what I do).

from what I see in DMG ASMedia ASM1061 is native with OS X and ASMedia ASM1042 need kext?

Work with kext. 

Andrew, I don't want to disturb you, you are very helpful, but I try to ask again;

ASRock with ASM SATA chip and GB with marvell are native with osx (show ad interna HD)

You say GB need kext for USB...but Fresco chip is nativw , ASM chip USB need kext.

I undestand well?

Andrew, I don't want to disturb you, you are very helpful, but I try to ask again;

ASRock with ASM SATA chip and GB with marvell are native with osx (show ad interna HD)

You say GB need kext for USB...but Fresco chip is nativw , ASM chip USB need kext.

I undestand well?

SATA = No kext

USB 3.0 Non GB board = Kext Needed

Thank you!!!

I'll take a few weeks to think which buy, I think ASRock is better than GB but I like the "compatibility" of the GB.

ciao Simonej

I am very happy with an asrock x79 extreme 9, with extreme 6 you have also latest Mb firmware (3.0)  with MSR unlocked

It could be very important for a good hackintosh PM

Ciao Fabio,

I just saw the latest firmware has MSR unlocked, thanks for your feedback, you are using special kext/DSDT(or SSDT)?

i am using only 2 kext

for ethernet

voodosyncTsc

both found on rampagedev dmg

I think I have an almost perfect hackintosh with pm and sleep working well, I have a xeon v2 cpu . it works oob with 10.9.2 beta

I am using also a ssdt generated by pike script

X79 extreme 9 has a pci sound card that is not supported

x79 extreme 6 has an alc898 that it is supported in rampagedev dmg, i think

Ciao Fabio,

I just saw the latest firmware has MSR unlocked, thanks for your feedback, you are using special kext/DSDT(or SSDT)?

Edited by fabiosun