Missing Operating System

Psiuyo

13 posts in this topic

Ok, so I kinda screwed up earlier today. I accidentally blew away my partition table and while I have been successful in restoring the table, booting back into OSX has been trouble.

1 = FAT16 - Dell Utility

2 = NTFS - Windows XP

3 = 0xaf - OSX 10.4.7

4 = Linux - Ubuntu

(All 4 primary)

I can now boot back into into 1, 2, and 4 fine (had to fixmbr/fixboot on XP) and 3 WAS giving me an HFS+ Partition Error, but now gives the Missing Operating System message when that is the active partition.

By using the CD I can boot back into my OSX installation, I just can't do it the normal way any more.

Any ideas on what I can do? (Sorry, I'm totally new to OSX and not entirely sure what is needed for booting)

Thanks in advance!

Ok, so I kinda screwed up earlier today. I accidentally blew away my partition table and while I have been successful in restoring the table, booting back into OSX has been trouble.

1 = FAT16 - Dell Utility

2 = NTFS - Windows XP

3 = 0xaf - OSX 10.4.7

4 = Linux - Ubuntu

(All 4 primary)

I can now boot back into into 1, 2, and 4 fine (had to fixmbr/fixboot on XP) and 3 WAS giving me an HFS+ Partition Error, but now gives the Missing Operating System message when that is the active partition.

By using the CD I can boot back into my OSX installation, I just can't do it the normal way any more.

Any ideas on what I can do? (Sorry, I'm totally new to OSX and not entirely sure what is needed for booting)

Thanks in advance!

I think you wiped out the boot sector. I haven't figured out how to restore one yet. You may be able to use the chain0 added to the XP boot.ini method to get it to boot. If you are using grub it can't read the hfs partition and that is why it says no os. I have seen it sugested you can also use the boot1h file in place of chain0 if that doesn't work. Have not seen any body confirm that though.

If that fails I would reinstall.

Don

Try this:

Boot the OSX install DVD, go into the installer and go to Terminal in the Utilities menu.

1) You fixed MBR in Windows, but let's try it again from OSX. Type:

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

2) Bless the OSX partition to tell OSX it has a bootable System folder. Type:

bless --mount "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)" --setBoot --verbose

Use the quote marks if the partition name has spaces in it. Don't use the parentheses.

3) Reboot

Note: if you happen to boot into OSX (not the installer) and go to Terminal, then you need to add "sudo" to the commands above: sudo fdisk... and sudo bless...

Thanks for both replies. I had tried the fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 previously, but I didn't know about bless.

Anyway, I booted up with the installer and ran both commands

fdisk did what it was supposed to do, but I'm not sure about bless. Here's the output from it:

# bless --mount /Volumes/disk0s3 --setBoot --verbose
Mount point for /Volumes/disk0s3 is /Volumes/disk0s3
Mount point is '/Volumes/disk0s3'
No BootX creation requested
Device is NOT whole
Apple_HFS partition. No external loader
IODeviceTree:/openprom not present in the IORegistry.  OpenFirmware not present
Partition map is MBR
Opening whole device /dev/disk0
MBR changed: NO
/dev/disk0s3 set as active boot partition

While it doesn't appear to have fixed anything, it has changed it. Now instead of the Missing Operating System message I just get a blinking '_' in the top left corner.

I haven't tried chainloading from grub or XP yet, but there must be a way to make this thing boot like normal again though. Currently I have grub installed on the partition rather than on the disk so that is doesn't interfere with trying to boot this normally (This is the same setup I had before too)

when ever I got HFS+ Partition Error

He no longer has an HFS+ Partition error.

That error usually can be fixed with one or two things:

1) Repair MBR. In Windows, run FIXMBR. In OSX, run the "fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0" command in Terminal. The "rdisk0" is for the 1st hard drive. "rdisk1" would be for the 2nd hard drive, etc.

2) The bootloader can be screwed up. Particularly Acronis. If you delete the link in Acronis and make a new one to the partition, it usually clears up the HFS+ Partition error. Grub can also get messed up.

# bless --mount /Volumes/disk0s3 --setBoot --verbose

Don't use "disk0s3" in that command, use the NAME you gave to the partition like "MacOSX" or "My Disk" or "Fred" or whatever. If you didn't give a name to it when you erased it in Disk Utility, it assigns the name "untitled".

If you go to Terminal and type: diskutil list

the NAME of the partition will be in the center of the line printed out.

Oh, but I think that is the name for that partition.

#diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#:					 type			   name				  size			identifier
0:   FDisk_partition_scheme								   *74.5 GB		  disk0
1:															 62.7 MB		  disk0s1
2:			  Windows_NTFS			Untitled			   39.5 GB		  disk0s2
3:				  Apple_HFS		   disk0s3				20.0 GB		  disk0s3
4:				  Linux									  15.0 GB		  disk0s4

According to that Untitled is my NTFS XP partition (man, does that ever look ugly in the preview)

Oh, but I think that is the name for that partition.

You are right. I stand corrected.

If you can boot the OSX install DVD, hit F8, select the OSX partition and boot into it, there is nothing wrong with the installation. It is still in the partition map or the bootloader.

1 = FAT16 - Dell Utility

2 = NTFS - Windows XP

3 = 0xaf - OSX 10.4.7

4 = Linux - Ubuntu

(All 4 primary)

Thanks in advance!

Believe it or not, I fixed same exact problem.

Open up a terminal and do su root

#

# cat /usr/standalone/i386/boot0 > /dev/rdisk0s3

#

On next reboot, voila.

While it doesn't appear to have fixed anything, it has changed it. Now instead of the Missing Operating System message I just get a blinking '_' in the top left corner.

This is not good. When u see blinking '_', you are now missing more than boot block. Time to re-install from boot DVD.

Believe it or not, I fixed same exact problem.

Open up a terminal and do su root

#

# cat /usr/standalone/i386/boot0 > /dev/rdisk0s3

#

On next reboot, voila.

This is not good. When u see blinking '_', you are now missing more than boot block. Time to re-install from boot DVD.

I tried to do this but I don't have a boot0 file in that location, only a boot.efi, so I used the one off the CD, but unfortunately it's still a no go - still stuck at a blinking _.

Oh well, guess I'll have to do a reinstall. At least I'm learning more :)

I haven't really done much to this installation, only a couple modified kexts... reinstalling was the lazy way out, but I think I've exhausted all other possiblities.

Thanks for all your guys' help!

As you demonstrated using the install DVD, the OSX installation is there and works fine. It is only the partition map or bootloader that is having trouble finding it. The bootloader on the OSX install DVD found it fine.

What about doing something to reinstall your bootloader?

As you demonstrated using the install DVD, the OSX installation is there and works fine. It is only the partition map or bootloader that is having trouble finding it. The bootloader on the OSX install DVD found it fine.

What about doing something to reinstall your bootloader?

I'm not using anything external to boot OSX, I just manually set the active partition and let 'er go. I've been avoiding using any sort of MBR boot loader since other's may need to use this laptop and I don't want to confuse them. So it appears I am missing something critical to the OSX partiton bootsector, but I'm at a loss as to what. Neither bless nor writing the boot0 directly to the partition appear to have replaced whatever it is that is missing/corrupt, and those look like what I would use to rewrite the partition boot sector.

I might be able to use grub or ntldr to chainload OSX, but I'd like to be able to boot directly without it.