no onboard sound after graphics card upgrade to GTX760

peri08

7 posts in this topic

I have been running Mavericks for the last couple of month and everything was working fine (including onboard sound from ALC892 on the Gigabyte Z87-HD3 board). Then I upgraded my graphics card yesterday from a 4-year old ATI Radeon to a GTX 760.  Since then, the onboard sound is not working anymore, the controls still show up, but all I get is a static noise!! I have not changed or installed any drivers in the meantime.

Is there any solution to this or will I have to live without sound? Could it be a conflict between the NVIDIA HDMI audio (which is also recognized) and the onboard audio? I also tried an Ubuntu Live USB stick and the same problem came up there as well. By the way, I'm using VoodooHDA. 

Please help!

Sorry that I asked this, but it would have been the easiest fix ;-) (And I fooled myself a time ago by not checking and testing different kexts/injectors for two days...)

Onboard sound is enable by bios/uefi? Cables are working and plugged in?

If you switch back to the Radeon, will sound work again? Yes: compare loaded kexts when booting with Radeon and Geforce (go to terminal and run "kextstat" command)

The problem exists also when running ubuntu live dvd?

Followed your advice and put the Radeon back in - same issue! Which makes me think that I somehow damaged the onboard audio while installing the GTX760. The onboard sound is recognized correctly, but all I get is white noise. So I'm thinking of disabling the onboard audio (unless somebody comes up with another suggestion) and buying an external usb sound device. Could anybody recommend something that is works well with OS X?