I cannot burn on my SATA DVD burner (using AppleATIATA.kext)

mrjayviper

2 posts in this topic

My system specs is on my signature.

Here's a screenshot of the error when using Disk Utility.

Here's a screenshot of an error when I tried burning some zip files but drag and drop and then selecting burn from the menu option.

My SATA DVD burner is connected to a SATA port configured as native IDE. If I set the port as AHCI, the burner won't show up even on bios.

Anyway, I'm having problems burning ISO files to my burner.

Things I've tried to isolate the problem:

1. There is no problem with the ISO as I can burn it fine using a USB DVD burner.
  2. There is no problem reading DVDs on the SATA burner as well as I made an image of my OSX 10.8 DVD.
  3. Before I converted my AMD setup (was running Windows 8.1) to OSX, I can burn ISO files to DVD (using imgburn) without any problems.

4. I tried burning using the slowest possible speed (which is 4x in Disk Utility) and it still failed.

I am using version 1.0.3 of the AppleATIATA.kext. I've looked for a newer version but I can't find it.

I checked dmesg this is is all I got which is quite cryptic

0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo 5] [IOType Read] [PBlkNum 0] [LBlkNum 0] [FSLogMsgID 254485598] [FSLogMsgOrder First] 
         0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode devfs] [MountPt /dev] [Path /dev/disk1] [FSLogMsgID 254485598] [FSLogMsgOrder Last] 
SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x05, ASC = 0x64, ASCQ = 0x00
disk1: unsupported mode.
         0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo 5] [IOType Read] [PBlkNum 0] [LBlkNum 0] [FSLogMsgID 1483491699] [FSLogMsgOrder First] 
         0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode devfs] [MountPt /dev] [Path /dev/disk1] [FSLogMsgID 1483491699] [FSLogMsgOrder Last] 

Any ideas on how to fix it (other than using a USB burner instead)?

thanks very much

seems my problem is board related. 

I moved the burner to port0 in the motherboard (which also uses AHCI) and I can see and can burn DVDs too.

SATA ports 4 and 5 can work independent of ports0-3 and the ports are assigned as AHCI, my board/bios can't see the burner.

thanks to those who read my post :)