Radeon R9 270X framebuffer issue

Vlada.

55 members have voted

1. 1. Binary-patch R9 270X tool pack v1.7 / Vote if you have DVI or HDMI connector issues

• GIGABYTE GV-R927XOC-2GD Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • GIGABYTE GV-R927XOC-4GD Radeon R9 270X 4GB
    • MSI R9 270X GAMING 2G Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • MSI Radeon R9 270X GAMING 4GB
    • SAPPHIRE 100364L Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • SAPPHIRE 100364TXSR Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100364VXL Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • SAPPHIRE 100364-4GL Radeon R9 270X 4GB 384-Bit (Dual-X Edition)
    • ASUS DirectCU II R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • ASUS DirectCU II R9270X-DC2T-4GD5 Radeon R9 270X 4GB
    • XFX Double D R9-270X-CDFC Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • XFX R9-270X-CDBC Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • PowerColor DEVIL AXR9 270X 2GBD5-A2DHE Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 270X 2GBD5-PPDHE Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • HIS IceQ X² Turbo Boost Clock H270XQMT2G2 Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • HIS Mini IceQ X² Boost H270XQMS2G2M Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    • Club3D royalQueen CGAX-R927X6 Radeon R9 270X 2GB

311 posts in this topic

Sure. Why not?

I do not understand your speech, what would you know? I'm just saying that on maverics I high scores, while with 10.10 no

So on yose dont work acceleration graphic , now u unterstand or not?

and here the guru did not understand the reason......nothing personal.....for me ATI on hack ...have many problem

Do not use "RadeonFramebuffer". The name is just plain "Radeon".

Sure...explain here why ?

the fundamental reason why change with Radeon, I understand :) :)

post-410253-0-93407200-1413705038_thumb.png

post-410253-0-01902500-1413705061_thumb.png

I can confirm that switching from the 'Futomaki' frame buffer (which Yosemite picks by default for my ATI Radeon R9 270X as my bootlog indicates literally) to the generic 'Radeon' frame buffer, makes the stuttering and periodical mouse freezes go away. I seem to have full QE/CI. IORegistryExplorer now mentions the Radeon FB.

In my Clover settings I have set 'Radeon' as the FB Name, as archfan correctly remarked. Furthermore I have ticked the 'Inject ATI' box, and - importantly - nothing more. No frame buffer patching in Clover or modified kexts, nothing.

For the record, I run the following setup: a Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X driving two monitors via respectively HDMI and display port at 1920x1080, and an onboard Intel HD 3000 chip which handles another monitor via HDMI.

I will do some further testing and benchmarking and will try to help people with a similar setup which still have the stuttering or other glitches.

• Like 1

Futomaki is the FB your boot manger picks by default along with using Radeon name. Maguro is the "default" FB used in D300 with id 6810.

There is a misconception that "RadeonFrambuffer" is not good to use because on previous cards it would indeed affect performance or compatibility, that is not the case for 2xx cards.

There is a misconception that "RadeonFrambuffer" is not good to use because on previous cards it would indeed affect performance or compatibility, that is not the case for 2xx cards.

So , Joe ...the final solution for 2xxx is FB =AtiRadeonFramebuffer ? And not Radeon ?

And about flag ATI in mandatory inject Yes or No ?

Mine is only curiosity

I wait you gurus the gurus the gurum .....ahahaha

Well, I can confirm that my solution still stands... I was upgrade on 10.10 yesterday and used AMD Radeon R9 270 Series 1.7 tool pack. Everything is working properly in my case, so it seems that there is no need for additional corrections, or at least that’s the situation for the R9 270X cards with 2GB VRAM. 

BTW, I'm using Clover with injector ATI enabled option.

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-22%20at%2015.23.

If anyone haves certain issues with my solution, you can always use default settings and basic Radeon FB, but you will have in that case wrong GPU signing in “About this Mac” panel, which isn’t something special since we are talking here in pure cosmetic issue. However, I'm not sure how the things will stand for output connectors in that situation…

Additionally, I think that wrong signing can be fixed with DSDT injector patch (check the best solution post)... 

I don't have answer on that question because it seems that R9 270X series isn't uniform GPU line. Latest cards are with 4GB VRAM, so we are speaking here about variation of the variation. This GPU is already rebranded HD7xxx series so that’s the reason why OS X is signing that way, and for some people my solution is totally ok, but for others isn’t!

I suggest you to try first my solution and see what happens and then if you start to experience certain problems in your regular work, please report that here and try something else… 

I see also that some people mentioning mouse problems. The jumping mouse or crazy mouse behavior isn’t actually new problem, but very, very old one and for those we have few solutions, SmoothMouse or SteerMouse applications, but also myHack tool offers solution in removing certain kexts which are responsible for that.

I really don't have a clue what happens...

You must be more specific. What did you install from the pack, which GPU card (Version - VRAM) and how did you set up Clover?

BTW, best answer post also offers download link for AMD Radeon R9 270 Series tool.

Hello, I'm wondering if someone can help me with my Club3D R9 270X 2GB. Looks like this: http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/radeon-r9-270x-royalqueen.html

I have a Hackintosh AMD Build (Athlon X4 555, Gigabyte 880GMA mobo), running 10.9.5 with out of the box drivers.

Running with boot flags GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1

It works, but there is a TON of flickering in every application, it is terrible. GPU registers at 7000 series.

I attempted to install your latest Driver pack by the following means:

1.Open Chameleon Wizard, Uncheck ALL Graphics Flags

2.Start the lastest R9 270X driver pack

3.Check the 10.9.2 or later option, uncheck the sandy bridge acpi flag box

4. Install, seems to work fine

However I am getting a black screen on startup after Apple Logo. If I wait and let the computer go to sleep, and wake it up again, it works. Now recognized at R9 270 series, and flicking is GONE. However waiting for the system to fall asleep and then wake up is annoying, so I used terminal to restore the old kext files. Still black screen on startup, and flickering is back. Ended up just reinstalling the Driver pack again.

Can anyone help me fix this sleep issue? Thank you very much.

I really don't have a clue what happens...

You must be more specific. What did you install from the pack, which GPU card (Version - VRAM) and how did you set up Clover?

BTW, best answer post also offers download link for AMD Radeon R9 270 Series tool.

Is this

About Clover set ATI to Yes

About r series only Ati 4000 Ati 7000 Ati Iniect kext

@warriormonk

It looks like connector issue. I made a setup according the dump results extracted from my GPU, but as I said seems like that on other cards setup should be a bit different. I can't help you without connector dump results which you should make first by your self. Check the posts on first page here and follow instructions from there...

@magnifico

Seem like that you made everything correct, hmm... Try to boot in safe mode and restore original drivers. Then try to boot regular again. I am not sure what happens in your case, so I wander will you be able to boot regular again with original drivers. Also check kext-dev-mode=1 flag if you didn't! 

• Like 1

Thanks Vlada,

I was messing around with the K7000Controller (replacing different versions), and I think i made it worse :( Reinstalled your driver package and now the system stays stuck in black screen (won't fully sleep) unless i boot with safe mode (-x). 

I am not sure which file you want dumped, so i went into windows and grabbed my GPU BIOS and made a connector dump. Here is what is says: 

E8A05JBA.LHW:

CURACAO XT 2GB E8A05JBA.LHW 1030E/1400M UEFI                                

Subsystem Vendor ID: 1787

Subsystem ID: 2336

Object Header Structure Size: 419

Connector Object Table Offset: 52

Router Object Table Offset: 0

Encoder Object Table Offset: 12a

Display Path Table Offset: 12

Connector Object Id [19] which is [DISPLAY_PORT]

encoder obj id [0x21] which is [iNTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x12 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x4)] linkb: false

encoder obj id [0x21] which is [iNTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x22 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x5)] linkb: true

Connector Object Id [12] which is [HDMI_TYPE_A]

encoder obj id [0x20] which is [iNTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (osx txmit 0x11 [duallink 0x1] enc 0x2)] linkb: false

Connector Object Id [2] which is [DVI_I]

encoder obj id [0x1e] which is [iNTERNAL_UNIPHY (osx txmit 0x10 [duallink 0x0] enc 0x0)] linkb: false

encoder obj id [0x15] which is [iNTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (osx txmit 0x00 enc 0x10?)] linkb: false

Connector Object Id [3] which is [DVI_D]

encoder obj id [0x20] which is [iNTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (osx txmit 0x21 [duallink 0x1] enc 0x3)] linkb: true

If you need anything else specifically to help out my problem please let me know. Also a recommended list of options to check with your installer would be appreciated (Considering I am running an AMD build and not intel like 95% of the users here), however ill keep experiencing to see if I can figure it out, so if it is too much trouble don't worry about that.

Thanks a ton.

Ok... as I can see from this, there are some differences. Basically, your GPU have one connector more. Two Display ports and mine have only one, so that’s the causing problem most likely and that probably stands for others too. Problem could be solved but that require continuous testing because I’m not sure which connector order should resolve your problem. So that is only you can do…

That’s the reason why I wasn’t been able to make one unique driver for all R9 cards.  I’m not sure is that possible, but even if it is than that will require parallel testing on several different GPU models and I can’t afford that. So my options here are very limited.

Perhaps some poll could be helpful here, so I open one. At least we would be able to determinate that way which R9 models are working (or not) with modified drivers in AMD Radeon R9 270 Series tool pack v1.7. 

Club3D R9 270X 2GB 

E8A05JBA.LHW:

CURACAO XT 2GB E8A05JBA.LHW 1030E/1400M UEFI                                

Subsystem Vendor ID: 1787
Object Header Structure Size: 419
Connector Object Table Offset: 52
Encoder Object Table Offset: 12a
encoder obj id [0x21] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x12 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x4)] linkb: false
encoder obj id [0x21] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x22 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x5)] linkb: true
encoder obj id [0x20] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (osx txmit 0x11 [duallink 0x1] enc 0x2)] linkb: false
encoder obj id [0x1e] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY (osx txmit 0x10 [duallink 0x0] enc 0x0)] linkb: false
encoder obj id [0x15] which is [INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (osx txmit 0x00 enc 0x10?)] linkb: false
Connector Object Id [3] which is [DVI_D]
encoder obj id [0x20] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (osx txmit 0x21 [duallink 0x1] enc 0x3)] linkb: true

PowerColor R9 270X PCS+ 2GB
C63101 CURACAO XT GDDR5 64Mx32 2GB E8B11LCC.HHW 2013                        

Subsystem Vendor ID: 148c
Object Header Structure Size: 355
Connector Object Table Offset: 48
Encoder Object Table Offset: fd
encoder obj id [0x21] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x12 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x4)] linkb: false
encoder obj id [0x21] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x22 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x5)] linkb: true
encoder obj id [0x1e] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY (osx txmit 0x10 [duallink 0x0] enc 0x0)] linkb: false
encoder obj id [0x15] which is [INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (osx txmit 0x00 enc 0x10?)] linkb: false
Connector Object Id [4] which is [DVI_D]
encoder obj id [0x20] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (osx txmit 0x11 [duallink 0x1] enc 0x2)] linkb: false

Not a newbie but light years behind you guys.

I've upgraded to 10.10.1 and got everything functioning perfectly with no DSDT and Chimera 4.0/Chameleon. I'd like to keep it that way.

BUT, my Sapphire r9 270x Vapor-x has dropped in performance. (2700 fps in Mavericks to 750 in Yosemite with Nova Bench.)

Is it possible to regain performance without a DSDT or Clover? Like maybe editing a plist or something that I understand?

I was thinking about replacing ATI kexts with those that worked in 10.9.5. Probably naive eh?

Edited: Tried the injector kext for Mavericks...Does not work in Yosemite. It must be quite different. I guess it's time to use a DSDT. I believe there are solutions if you use a DSDT. It's time I learned how to work with that anyway. I could restore to Mavericks but I like Yosemite too much.

Update: After several days with the modified 'Hamachi' framebuffer, I cannot yet say that the UI performance of my Gigabyte R9 270X under Yosemite is adequate. I would say that performance is on the same level as the standard Radeon framebuffer. UI transitions are not fluent at all. Framerates vary from 12 to 60 (disabling vsync does not do much but heightening the fps ceiling).

In any case, I can confirm that the periodical stuttering is gone after modifying the port layout of the framebuffer. What I would also like to investigate is the impact of my dual graphic card - triple screen config on the performance. In this situation, the AMD Renderer has to co-operate with the Intel Renderer. Maybe it is actually the division of graphic labor that is skewed?

For the next days I will try to measure the performance (framerate) of a few other Pitcairn framebuffers (Aji, Futomaki, etc.)

For other volunteer-testers: try running the Quartz Debug application which gives a few measuring options (like a framemeter). You can find it under the name 'Graphics Tools for Xcode' on this page https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action

The standard Radeon Framebuffer recognizes all my displays correctly when I use AtiInject=Yes with Clover, but the performance of my AMD R9 270X is sub-par. There is no stuttering as with the Futomaki framebuffer, but there are visual artefacts and general ui unresponsiveness.

So I tried to use Hamachi with corrected hex values for all my ports. The result is that the stuttering is gone, and the perceived performance is restored.

Therefore I find that the standard Radeon framebuffer does impact performance negatively, and that Futomaki is not properly optimized for my card in Yosemite.

Possibly Futomaki could also give proper performance, if I would correct its port values via Clover. 

@Vlada: I have to contradict your stating that the stuttering in Yosemite with certain 7000 series Ati cards is due too unoptimized native mouse drivers. I installed my logitech drivers, and the stuttering still persists. Furthermore, the stuttering seems to halt the cpu processing for an instant. It is not just the mouse that is stuck for an instant, but the whole system.

@ michaelcly: You can follow these instructions http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/kext-editing/editing-atiamd-framebuffer-personality/ to correct a chosen framebuffer within AMD7000Controller.kext to the port (HDMI, DP, etc) configuration of your card.

As you can read above, I would suggest you pick the 'Hamachi' framebuffer to start. You will probably need to learn how to install and configure the Clover bootloader, as I have no idea if Chameleon lets you pick a framebuffer.

Download Clover and CloverConfigurator (search google), read the instructions how to patch AMD7000 Controller at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/?do=findComment&comment=1853099

You will especially have to look for following Clover config values:

Boot option: add 'WithKext'
InjectAti=Yes (section 'Graphics')
FB Name: 'Hamachi' (section Graphics)
Ati connectors data: {original hex string of the framebuffer you want to adapt} (section Kext and Kernel Patching)
Ati connectors patch: {custom hex string corresponding with your graphic card port config} (make sure they are equal in length)
  • Like 1

my opinion

There are video cards from different manufacturers that need patching, others do not need them.

A list with specific models, problems and solution would be very useful for those looking into buying one (like me :D). I know about the wiki but people just don't use it, there's very little info there, not even one R9 model reported for Yosemite.

• Like 1

:D

any 270x or 280x in "reference" design. there is a window server problem with using ANY fb but none are really needed so don't worry about any negative reports here. the chips are in macpros and now new iMacs so they will have long term support.

I'm interested in the" Sapphire Radeon R9 270x Dual-X Oc with Boost 4Gb" (what an awful name), mainly because it's supposedly the same chip as the D300 (meaning long-term support as you said) but I don't know how well it works in a multi-monitor setup with DVI+HDMI. I believe it's a reference design, with DVI-D + DVI-I (dual link), HDMI and DisplayPort.