Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Quiet Hackintosh for web development

7 posts in this topic

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($31.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($141.97 @ Newegg) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($86.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card  ($143.98 @ Newegg) 

Total: $1030.88

Already purchased.

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.00 @ Newegg) 

Case: BitFenix Phenom Midnight Black Mini ITX Tower Case  ($87.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 

I'm build this to replace my noisy macbook pro. I am a web developer. I will probably buy the video card and install later.

I'm curious on fan placement on the phenom case (Prodigy guts). Two quiet fans plus a cpu cooler enough? I paid a little more for the motherboard because it dosent have useless IO like vga or usb2.0. I don't plan on over clocking. The power is useless for my needs. I5 is probably a splurge. 

FYI i have never built a computer or Hackintosh. I have friends who can help with assembly.

What I meant was, a video card is not necessary to do any kind of web development. I wasn't talking about the GTX 650 specifically, any video card is a "noise generating heat source with zero benefits" in this case.

A silent PC must have silent fans, the less heat generated, the lower fan RPM required, which in turn equals less noise.

It would be nice to have more support for multiple monitors. If i get a graphics card, am I able to use the DVI/HDMI on the motherboard in addition to the ones on the graphics card? Can onboard graphics effortlessly power multiple hi res monitors? It doesn't seem like I need it, I'll see how the hd4600 graphics perform. 

depends on dsdt... theconnatic got it working with 9800 GT and HD4000. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286474-about-using-discrete-and-integrated-graphics-at-the-same-time/page-4?hl=%2Buse+%2Bboth+%2Bdiscrete&do=findComment&comment=1969324)and the hd4600 should be ok on high res. display, but of course not as good as discrete :D