AC97 Audio issue, last part of Step 12 on OSx86 Audio fix- Wiki

cloak419

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just got OS X installed on my PC, and all I can say is...wow. Very cool, very different.

Now I'm having a little problem.

I've been researching for about a day on installing Audio, I happen to have the A8N-SLI Premium Mobo that the AC97 kext can be installed on it.

Following the instructions on AC97 setup and audio installation, I was able to figure out my Vendor and Device ID Which are as follows

Vendor:10DE

DevID:0059

Same as the example givin in the Wiki guide.

I was thrown off a bit by his example because since I figured we have the same Vendor/Device he seemed tp have givin the numbers in reverse...

Windows users can use DXdiag (go to Start->Run and type DXdiag, click ok and DXdiag will show it. To find the vendor ID and dev ID, after you've clicked on the sound tab (in DXDiag), check the name to be sure it says something along the lines of "AC 97" in it. If so, look at "Device ID:" and beside it I have PCI\VEN_10DEDEV_0059SUBSYS_812A1043REV_A.....and so on. In this example, the vendor id is "10DE" and it is after VEN_ ending when DEV_ starts. The device ID is "0059" and it is after DEV_ ending after SUBSYS starts.

And then later..

Scroll down until you see "< key >NVIDIA AC97 Audio< /key >" You will see a part below it that says < string > **Other ids** < /string >. Enter yours in so it looks like < string > **other ids** 0x005910de< /string > (in case you didn't notice, it's 0x then your four character vendorID then 4 character devID, so for example if your vendorID=0059 and your devID=10de so you would add 0x005910de)

He does completely oppisite of what he says, he says the Device ID is 0059 in the first example and in the second quote box he says the vendor ID is 10DE..Kind of misleading espicielly if you have the same exact numbers as he does.

So after I finish step 7 (editing of the info.plist) I get to the very last step (12) and try to do the "kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext" and nothing. I get this instead...

franklin-lagos-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents root# chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
franklin-lagos-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents root# chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext
franklin-lagos-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents root# cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
franklin-lagos-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns root# cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
franklin-lagos-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns root# kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext
can't add kernel extension AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext (not a bundle) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

One of the things that I noticed was different in the info.plist file that he was discribing compared to mine was that he said

All the "vendor" keys are below the < key >IOPCIPrimaryMatch< /key >, I infer.

..I didn't notice that.

...so maybe I got an altered copy of the AppleAC97Audio.kext?

(Got it from here http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...ost&id=528)

And since his values were misleading, is what I'm supposed to put within the <KEY> 0x005910de or 0x10de0059?

So confused :lol:

Need help please! I mean, what is a man with a Mac and no Music? :P

System Specs

------

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

2GB RAM DDR400

BFG Tech Nvidia GeForce 7900GTOC (OC'd to a GTX)

Seagate 160GB Sata

Maxtor 4GB IDE HDD (Yes, small I know, but it installed fine =) )

Creative XFI Fatal1ty Sound card

Using Mac OS X (JaS) 10.4.7

Thanks in advance! :D

--

Edit: Fixed the .kext URL

Use 0x005910de

But it should be entered below the <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

You should find lines like this in the kext:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x12345678</string>

and you would replace the 0x12345678 with 0x005910de

Note: I made up the 0x12345678 because I don't know what is really there. This is just used as an example. The link you gave for the kext doesn't take me to a kext.

Okay, I did do what you said to do (Enter 0x005910de under the IOPCIPrimaryMatch KEY tag but when I get to the very last step ("kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext") I recieve this

franklin-lagos-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents root# cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
franklin-lagos-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns root# kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext
16IOAC97AudioCodec is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext
load failed for extension AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

This is what my info.plist looks like (The area where I placed my values at least)

<key>NVIDIA AC97 Audio</key>
			<dict>
					<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
					<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH</string>
					<key>ICH Type</key>
					<integer>99</integer>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<string>AppleAC97AudioIntelICH</string>
					<string>0x005910de</string>
					<key>IOProbeScore</key>
					<integer>1000</integer>
					<key>IOProviderClass</key>
					<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
			</dict>

Still no audio, getting a bit desperate now :)..I still think I recieved an altered copy of the AppleAC97Audio.kext

same problem here :thumbsup_anim:

mine is:

PCI\VEN_8086DEV_24D5SUBSYS_810D1043REV_0

Vendor 24D5

device 8086

so i changed it to this:

<key>NVIDIA AC97 Audio</key>

<dict>

<key>ICH Type</key>

<integer>99</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>0x00da10de 0x006a10de 0x808624d5</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>1000</integer>

so what am i doing wrong?

Sound involves two chips - the codec chip and the controller chip. You can get the vendor id and device id of each chip in Windows.

You already have the controller vendor/device id's. Let's examine the codec id's.

In Windows, go to Device Manager. In Sound, Video and Game Controllers, find an entry with a name brand (like Sigmatel, Soundmax, Realtek, etc) or something with AC97 in the title. Get Properties on it and click the Details tab. You will find the VEN and DEV for your codec chip.

• 3 years later...

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 with AC97 audio.

Here's how you set it up!

From a terminal inside osx find out the numbers you need by running lspci

lspci -v

00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01ad

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23

I/O ports at ec00

I/O ports at e8c0

Memory at feabfa00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at feabf900 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

lspci -vn

00:1e.2 0401: 8086:27de (rev 01)

Subsystem: 1028:01ad

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23

I/O ports at ec00

I/O ports at e8c0

Memory at feabfa00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at feabf900 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

So for me my number is 0x27de8086 ... see how i swapped the two halves of the number above?

Go to this directory (assuming you installed the AC97 kext!!):

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents/

add or update the Info.plist file so you have an ICH7 section:

<key>ICH7 AC97 Audio</key>

<dict>

<key>ICH Type</key>

<integer>7</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>0x27de8086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>10000</integer>

</dict>

Ensure you have correctly set the permissions and ownership:

chmod -R 755 Info.plist

-and-

chown -R root:wheel Info.plist

Finally load the kext:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

There!