Moving to a newer release of OS X x86.

MrDee

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have been on Mac OS X 10.4.5 since March 2006, I like how everything is going so far. But since then, 2 new updates have been released for Tiger x86, .6 and .7. and most recent .8 (not patched yet). I know that future software releases from Apple and third party ISVs will eventually require that you have the latest updates such as .7 or .8 before installing their software.

I would like to move to 10.4.7, but I am very afraid of ruining my current setup. I am multi-booting:

Windows XP x86

Windows XP x64

Windows Server 2003 x86

Windows Server 2003 x64

Windows Vista x64 (build 5728)

Mac OS X x86 (10.4.5) - Myz

My question is, if I boot from the latest 10.4.7 DVD and select the current 10.4.5 partition and format it, then install 10.4.7, will this affect the Windows operating systems currently installed? Chain0 is already a part of the XP x86 boot.ini, but Vista's boot loader has taken over, also, Vista conveniently places the Mac OS X entry on its boot loader.

So is it possible? Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

I will suggest you to upgrade to 10.4.7 step by step so that you still can use Vista's boot loader. If you freshly reinstall OS X, OS X partition will be set Active and Darwin's boot loader will take over...well, not sure all OS will show up in Darwin's boot loader.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for replying and sorry for responding so late. Could you clarify what you mean by step by step? I don't mind obtaining OS X 10.4.6 and doing the incremental upgrade to 10.4.7, but my issue is, since I currently have Vista RC2 installed, and the Vista Boot Manager has taken over, can I boot the 10.4.6 DVD for instance, select the current 10.4.5 installation partition and format it then install 10.4.6 without it corrupting the other operating systems installed?

I don't want to have to format as NTFS through Disk Management then install OS X, I just feel if I format the existing HFS+ partition on which 10.4.5 is installed with the 10.4.6 setup, it would be much easier. Any thoughts? Thanks again.