Mac OSX lockups/graphics problems

4 posts in this topic

My System:

intel E6300 core duo

Asus P5W DH Mobo

2GB Ram Geil PC6400

WD 250GB HD (pata)

3D Connect X1900XT 256mb

I have installed OSX 10.4.7 onto my system, but I keep getting random lockups or the sytem just hangs.

Also I get horizontal lines across the screen.

Can anyone give me advice on what could be causing this and any steps I can take?

I've been looking through the forums for a few weeks now where other users have had success with the hardware I have so I can't understand why I'm getting these problems

Any help will be much appreciated

Safe mode disables non-essential drivers and things to help you get booted to solve problems within a GUI environment. You will eventually find things that don't work because they are disabled.

From Apple:

Starting up into Safe Mode does three things to simplify the startup and operation of your computer:

It forces a directory check of the startup volume.

It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all fonts other than those in /System/Library/Fonts .

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It moves to the Trash all font caches normally stored in /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/(uid)/ , where (uid) is a user ID number such as 501.

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all startup items and any Login Items.

Taken together, these changes can work around issues caused by software or directory damage on the startup volume.

Some features don't work in Safe Mode

Safe Mode can be useful for troubleshooting. However, certain Mac OS X features do not work when you are started up in Safe Mode. For example, you can't use DVD Player, capture video in iMovie, use an AirPort card, use audio input or output devices, or use an internal or external USB modem.

Thanks for the info, like you said I can't get any sound in safe mode (it works using your method for ALC882 in a normal boot of OSX)

Is their anything I can do to find what could be causing the lockups?

Could it be the graphics card I have (X1900XT)?