PC doesn't boot into Chameleon on Mac OS X partition

skyrocketing

21 posts in this topic

I have my OS X set up perfectly, except for one minor detail that my PC cannot boot into the Mac OS X partition / the Chameleon bootloader on that partition. I have an SSD with Windows on it and a hard drive with two partitions, one that is NTFS for Windows files and the other HFS+ for the OS X installation. My BIOS settings are correct but my PC simply isn't detecting the Chameleon bootloader on the partition. When I try to boot from that drive (not that I select to boot from the partition specifically, just the entire drive), it sends me to Windows Boot Manager with only Windows 8.1 listed (which is on another drive). Could anyone lend some insight on how to get my booting working correctly? 

Specs:

GA-Z87X-UD4H

120 GB SSD

2 TB HDD

i5-4670k

GTX 770 8 GB RAM

OK, several things.

Did you install FakeSMC.kext into /S/L/E in your OSX installation?

Did you install an Extra folder at the root of your OSX installation?  Does the Extra folder contain an org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and a smbios.plist file?

Just to see if there is anything strange going on, boot into your OSX installation and open Terminal.  Type: "diskutil list" and post the results.

Finally, I've helped a couple of people that had strange problems with the latest Chameleon.  Boot to your OSX installation and install this slightly older version of Chameleon: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jtr9myje2b3ve2u/Chameleon-r2255.zip

set the second disk in your bios to boot in the first place,  where have the MAC OS installed, and the SSD WITH WIN in the second place to boot, can be this is the problem

I have done this. When I boot, I usually choose the boot drive anyway. Changing the priority still results in the same outcome.

OK, several things.

Did you install FakeSMC.kext into /S/L/E in your OSX installation?

Did you install an Extra folder at the root of your OSX installation?  Does the Extra folder contain an org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and a smbios.plist file?

Just to see if there is anything strange going on, boot into your OSX installation and open Terminal.  Type: "diskutil list" and post the results.

Finally, I've helped a couple of people that had strange problems with the latest Chameleon.  Boot to your OSX installation and install this slightly older version of Chameleon: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jtr9myje2b3ve2u/Chameleon-r2255.zip

I did install FakeSMC.kext to S/L/E. The Extra folder has both of those files. I'll try the terminal thing and come back with results.

Depending upon how Chameleon reads the drives, it might be seeing the Windows drive as first and the OSX drive as second.  It might be defaulting to booting the Windows drive.  If that is the case, then setting the drives in BIOS can be helpful.  It can also depend upon a setting in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist that is in the Extra folder.  If you have a chance, could you post the contents of that file as well?

Depending upon how Chameleon reads the drives, it might be seeing the Windows drive as first and the OSX drive as second.  It might be defaulting to booting the Windows drive.  If that is the case, then setting the drives in BIOS can be helpful.  It can also depend upon a setting in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist that is in the Extra folder.  If you have a chance, could you post the contents of that file as well?

In order to keep it in one post, first here's the results of the "diskutil list" command:

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:               Windows_NTFS System Reserved         367.0 MB   disk0s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS SanDisk SSD             119.7 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data Barracuda               1.8 TB     disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS OS X                    200.1 GB   disk1s3

Next, here is a screenshot of my org.chameleon.Boot.plist settings: 

2w72sz9.jpg

Hopefully this helps. I can provide more information if needed.

EDIT: Also tried that version of Chameleon. No luck. 

unplug  the "WIN disk0 from your MB", put the disk1 where MAC OS  are installed in the SATA port 0 of your motherboard and try boot it, if this work, then conect disk WIN in port 1

now if the disk1 were you have MAC OS installed no boot, this is a problem with chameleon, try reinstall the las version

Hi,

I ve a similar problem.

But i have just a single HD in a Laptop.

I have installed the mentioned stuff. It boots up fine from usb, but not from hd. 

It just flashes black and reboots again. 

I tried different versions of chameleon and chimera and also the boot1h for hd with 4k sectors, but nothing.

Its a samsung np300v5a

core i5 2450m

gforce gt520mx

HD  = Samsung HN-M101MBB 

This gives diskutil:

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Hackintosh HD           500.0 GB   disk0s2

3:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN                     100.0 GB   disk0s3

4:                  Apple_HFS Pool                    399.7 GB   disk0s4

/dev/disk1

0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *8.1 GB     disk1

1:                  Apple_HFS Mavericks Install       8.1 GB     disk1s1

/dev/disk2

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *8.0 GB     disk2

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1

2:                  Apple_HFS boot                    7.6 GB     disk2s2

and this is my Boot.plist:
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>

@skyrocketing

The "diskutil list" indicates that Chameleon might be seeing your Windows drive as default.  If you follow iFire's recommendation to unplug the Windows drive from SATA port 0 and plug the Mac drive into that port and then try to boot, that will be the quickest way to determine whether it is a Chameleon problem or other.

Now, you tried the older Chameleon that I suggested.  But your org.chameleon.Boot.plist uses a keyword that is particular to Chimera.  The keyword affects onboard video.  If you are using onboard video, you either need to reinstall Chimera or install the latest Chameleon and modify the org.chameleon.Boot.plist.  If you are using your GTX 770, then it doesn't matter.  But if the test of disconnecting the Windows drive does not work, then you need to do something with Chimera or Chameleon.

unplug  the "WIN disk0 from your MB", put the disk1 where MAC OS  are installed in the SATA port 0 of your motherboard and try boot it, if this work, then conect disk WIN in port 1

now if the disk1 were you have MAC OS installed no boot, this is a problem with chameleon, try reinstall the las version

Did this, and got a new result. When the drive with the Mac partition is the only SATA device attached and in the first port, it says something along the lines of:

boot0: GPT

boot0: error

Did this, and got a new result. When the drive with the Mac partition is the only SATA device attached and in the first port, it says something along the lines of:

boot0: error

Chameleon is trying but it is having a problem.

Since your "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" has a Chimera keyword in it, you might want to download the standalone Chimera installer from "that other website" and try to reinstall it on your OSX partition.

Then try booting.

Chameleon is trying but it is having a problem.

Since your "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" has a Chimera keyword in it, you might want to download the standalone Chimera installer from "that other website" and try to reinstall it on your OSX partition.

Then try booting.

Did so, same error. :( This is bad.

Did so, same error. :( This is bad.

Do you have any actual data stored on the data partition?  If no, or not much, you might consider re-doing the drive and put the Mac partition first and the data partition second.

Do you have any actual data stored on the data partition?  If no, or not much, you might consider re-doing the drive and put the Mac partition first and the data partition second.

I do but I wiped it the first time I installed OS X and it wasn't a hassle to back up the data. What do you mean first and second? I partitioned the drive in Disk Utility like so: 

2pr7o1w.jpg

Where the Barracuda (NTFS) partition is ~1.8 TB and the OS X partition is ~200 GB. Since I used Disk Utility, I formatted and created the partitions at the same time. Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly!

EDIT: Other info, the drive has a GUID Partition Table scheme, if it matters.

Yes, the OSX partition is on top and format the Barracuda partition as FAT.  Later you can reformat it as NTFS.

Okay so I have just finished reinstalling and partitioning in the correct order, same error. I don't know if this was happening before, but I noticed something interested. When I try to boot to OS X, it says:

boot0: done

Then, it goes to Windows Boot Manager. Now I don't know much about this stuff, but could Windows Boot Manager be messing with something? I know I tried to install EasyBCD at one point so it may be conflicting somewhere.

Did you set the SATA cables back to where they were? How long does it take to go from "done" to the Windows Boot Manager?  Chameleon/Chimera is set to wait 2 seconds before it boots the default drive.  If the default drive is the Windows drive, then the whole process may take 5 or 6 seconds.

Boot into the OSX installation using the USB drive.  Go to the Applications folder and find TextEdit.  Use it to open the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" file which is in the Extra folder.  Find the following two lines and change them as indicated:

Find:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

Change to:

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

This will force you to select which partition to boot.  If this works, then there are other changes to make to org.chameleon.Boot.plist to better meet your needs.

IN THIS DISK0

/dev/disk0

1:                    EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

open Terminal app and copy this lines one by one + enter

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

sudo diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI” /dev/disk0s1

now the partition EFI is mounted in the desktop , or you can see in the Finder, if not mounted try this:

sudo mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI 

now install chameleon to EFI Partition, put your Extra folder in the EFI Partition, and reboot

IN THIS DISK0

/dev/disk0

1:                    EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

open Terminal app and copy this lines one by one + enter

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

sudo diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI” /dev/disk0s1

now the partition EFI is mounted in the desktop , or you can see in the Finder, if not mounted try this:

sudo mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI 

now install chameleon to EFI Partition, put your Extra folder in the EFI Partition, and reboot

I'm having trouble with the line: sudo diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI” /dev/disk0s1

I'm getting an error: Error: -5344: MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation

Did you set the SATA cables back to where they were? How long does it take to go from "done" to the Windows Boot Manager?  Chameleon/Chimera is set to wait 2 seconds before it boots the default drive.  If the default drive is the Windows drive, then the whole process may take 5 or 6 seconds.

Boot into the OSX installation using the USB drive.  Go to the Applications folder and find TextEdit.  Use it to open the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" file which is in the Extra folder.  Find the following two lines and change them as indicated:

Find:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

Change to:

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

This will force you to select which partition to boot.  If this works, then there are other changes to make to org.chameleon.Boot.plist to better meet your needs.

I've changed the string in the Boot.plist file but it hasn't helped. The time between the boot0: done screen and the Windows Boot Manager is nearly instant. I currently have the 2 TB HDD in the first SATA port and the SSD in the second port. Using Chameleon Wizard, I noticed a few things. First, I see a boot option so set a default partition, I may try that. Also, I see various "install methods" for Chameleon, where one is called "boot0" and is the current one. That makes sense since I see the boot0 screens. Another option is boot0md with a description (recommended if you have 2+ disks and Windows is in a disk other than OS X". Should I try that too?