General/Basic Hackintosh Questions

WaltWhite

3 posts in this topic

For years I've had a passing interest in the hackintosh scene but always just bought a Mac for simplicity's sake. However I've found more and more I'm not really using my MB Air, working on my iPad 99% of the time. I've been thinking of maybe grabbing a Mac Mini.

But wait... I do have a gaming PC. I'm now entertaining the idea of turning it into a dual boot hackintosh. Hardware wise it's a Q6600 CPU overclocked to 3.6 GHz on a Gigabyte GA X38-DS4. It looks to be compatible I think. At first I didn't think sleep/wake would work (not a big deal) but some more research revealed some DSDT tweaking could get it to work?

In a nutshell I'm looking for simplicity. If I can get this rig to run OSX with a minimum of headaches I'm on board. I'm not necessarily gunning for Mavericks; before upgrading to that OS a few days ago I was on Lion for two years and I saw no problem with it. Since Lion is now mature would that be the preferred OS for simplicity's sake since I won't have to worry about upgrade incompatibility?

For those of you that have hacked and DSDTed is it fairly painless for someone with PC building experience? I'd just as soon trade up my Air on a Mini if it'll save me a bunch of face-palming down the line but by the same token I'd really like to get rid of the two keyboards cluttering my desk ;)

Please put your hardware in your signature, like many others here have done it. It is easier to support you. Nobody likes to guess, by trying to give you a lot of tips.

As a good starting point you can read this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

Fore making an installer you can use this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/11-pandoraapp/

In most cases a DSDT.aml is not neccessary for doing an inital install. You should try to solve  the upcoming prolbems step by step. But first you need an install on a hd. I suggest to do this on a hd without any system. You should also disconnet other hd´s, til you know, what is going on.

Have fun.