10.9 Mavericks on Dell Precision M6400 (work in progerss)

fegato

85 posts in this topic

Well 10.11.6 was a disaster for me. The patch installed OK, but when I rebooted I had no audio. (Turns out I *was* using AppleHDA.) So I tried patching AppleHDA by changing the LayoutID to 12, but that still didn't work. So I fired up Clover Configurator and tried the "FixHDA" option. The result was an unbootable system.

So I tried to open my config.plist with Clover Configurator, and unchecked "FixHDA" and saved config.plist - but the bloody thing still wouldn't boot. Of course I didn't back up the config file before I did it, so I'm stuck booting off USB. I'll have to rebuild the config file from scratch by reinstalling Clover and getting a default config. Any M6400 users out there with a working config.plist?

As far as I can tell, it looks like my GPU is running full tilt all the time. So far it hasn't caused any issues, and I'm on AC power 99% of the time anyway...

I'm really sorry I cannot help you since I'm actually booting with enoch.

Have you tried to restore the original AGPM too?

Well I'm back in business. I rebuilt the config.plist from scratch, and got it working by comparing it to my USB Clover options, and with some trial and error. Guess it's time to back that puppy up. Oh, and the changes I made to config.plist apparently got AppleHDA working again.

I'm glad I don't have to depend on this thing for getting work done. It's strictly a hobby project, aside from a little resume editing.

Any other Quadro 3700M owners having graphical glitches? I'm trying to figure out if I have defective hardware or it's just the sort of bugginess one has to accept with a Hackintosh. In OS X, I'll have games or videos crash once or twice a day, or even have graphical distortions on the desktop. A reboot will generally fix all issues. I dual boot with Win10, and have had a very few graphical crashes/glitches with Windows. Is it possible I got a dud Quadro?

• 5 months later...

Ciao!

anyone tried/succeeded with Sierra on this machine?

I'm going to try it soon. I'm just downloading the installer right now and looking at the web for any info.

Would be nice to read some advice from any of you if you have some experience about it already.

Anyway I'll report here what happens.

Stay tuned.

EDIT 2017-02-02

A quick nice update: I'm writing from my clone second disk partition upgraded to Sierra.

It seems it's doing well, but it's still work in progress, I'll report my full experience soon.

post-193090-0-35588200-1486026670_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Ciao!

anyone tried/succeeded with Sierra on this machine?

I'm going to try it soon. I'm just downloading the installer right now and looking at the web for any info.

Would be nice to read some advice from any of you if you have some experience about it already.

Anyway I'll report here what happens.

Stay tuned.

EDIT 2017-02-02

A quick nice update: I'm writing from my clone second disk partition upgraded to Sierra.

It seems it's doing well, but it's still work in progress, I'll report my full experience soon.

attachicon.gifs-s-s.png

and here we go!

I'm writing from an almost perfect installation of 10.12.3: it works pretty well as 10.11.6 did and I managed to fix some glitches too.

Here are the steps I've made:

0. (cloned the existing working EC system to another drive, just in case of need to watch how it works)

1. downloaded Enoch-rev.2839, applied and successfully tested it (I believe that Clover should work too but I prefer to stay with chameleon..);
  2. downloaded and applied smbios for MacBookPro7,1 since macbookpro5,2 in use on my machine isn't formally supported by Sierra. Moved the 5,2 one to a safe place;
  3. after reboot I was able to download the installer from apple store. Note that the new smbios broke my USB support. So after download I canceled the installation and I re-applied the previous one and reboot EC. Meanwhile the installer remained accessible from the Applications folder;
  4. I've then followed this clear guide to create an USB installer from the one downloaded from apple store;
  5. Once finished, I extracted the Kernel file from System/Library/Kernels in Essential.pkg and put it in System/Library/Kernels in the USB dongle;
  6. (optionally to be able to install Sierra on a MBR partition system instead of on a GUID one this is the moment to see here how to do);
  7. Then I've put the new smbios (see point 2.) in the Extra folder and USBInjectAll from RehabMan to S/L/E in the USB dongle in order to let the ports work within the installer;
  8. I had black screen issues after the boot process from the USB installer so I applied nv_disable=1 and GraphicsEnabler Yes kernel flags and keys to the chameleon boot plist, so my installation was done in VESA mode without problems anyway;
  9. booted from USB and got to the installer: selecting my EC drive it did the upgrade in approximately 30 minutes. Then it rebooted automatically in Sierra. The old DSDT, smbios, boot plist, USB injector were just there so the OS was already almost perfect;
  10. I had just to re-patch AGPM following #27 by @madmatt to optimise the cooling system;
  11. AppleHDA patching wasn't working anymore in Sierra. There is a new already patched version released by wern apfel that seems to work very well. Anyway I switched to a freshly compiled AppleALC along with vanilla AppleHDA and corrected DSDT with layout-id 3. It seems to work very well too and I don't have to concern about the next OS updates. It solves the sync issues between sound volume keys and status bar and system preference panel icon and sliders.

I'll report back any further evidence of this test. 

Stay tuned.

2017-11 edit

The configuration above is still working very well. The system was updated to 10.12.6 + security updated 2017-001 without issues.

The AGPM patch at point 10. above from @madmatt was affined following these instructions from OSXlatitude with vendor and device ids of the Nvidia graphics card, control-id was set to 18 and the patch itself was integrated into FakeSMC (credits to Hervè) in this way I don't have to patch AGPM kext at every OS update anymore.

I'm starting to think about upgrading to 10.13. I know that it's working on our machines, and I'm collecting infos.

If anyone has some to share, please let us know.

Maybe I'll start a new topic in a better and more appropriate section.

Stay tuned.

Edited by c0ke

• 1 year later...

I don't know if anyone may still be interested on this...

Anyway our good old M6400 is still capable of running an up-to-date MacOs system.

work in progress.. Further details soon.

s-s-m.jpg

• 8 months later...

Here we go... Catalina is out, but I've been focused on getting Mojave running on this machine.

just as a reminder of the procedure, I'll write here what I've done.

Mojave is running on both my internal SSD GPT HFS+ drive and external SSD APFS (managed to boot the latter with enoch v2922 APFS beta v2 but I'm not able to install it onto an APFS partition itself):

• first of all I've done a full backup clone of my Sierra working system on the second internal hard drive
  • (also cloned the whole system onto my external APFS drive. This is not required for HFS+ installations)
  • downloaded 10.14.2 installer app with dosdude1's Mojave patcher tool (I was not able to boot 10.14.5 and following installer)
  • created a patched install drive following this guide from @crazybirdy with the app at previous point
  • extracted the Kernel file from System/Library/Kernels in Essential.pkg and put it in System/Library/Kernels into the installer drive
  • applied smbios for MacBookPro7,1 (I don't know if it's actually required anymore since the installer is patched)
  • boot the installer (and convert the disk to APFS in case of my external drive. This is not required for HFS+ installations)
  • install onto the previous system (upgrade without problem)
  • reboot from Sierra backup and install up-to-date-lilu/up-to-date-applealc/HS Nvidia kexts & telemetry plugin and repaired S/L/E permissions onto the fresh 10.14.2 installation (thanks to ASentientBot)
  • boot mojave and config
  • update to 10.14.6 using a combo update patched with macOS Patcher from RMC team see details here and here (HFS+ doesn't get software update within system preferences)
  • (APFS get the update through system preferences but I had to download 10.14.5 and install it and then 10.14.6 and install it)
  • reboot from Sierra backup and install HS Nvidia kexts, telemetry plugin and other bundles onto the system - slight different than before since 10.14.4 and later changed nvidia behaviours (pkg thanks to chris1111 but runs only from mojave itself)
  • reapplied MacBookPro5,2 smbios and boot 
  • fix GUI glitches with spiramira's hybrid mode method

Checking what's working right now. Stay tuned

EDIT It seems pretty stable until now. I will post here any issue that would eventually occur.

I'm trying a fresh clover installation onto an external usb drive just to collect some experience. Let's see what happens..

Edited by c0ke
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...
On 25/10/2019 at 00:14, c0ke said:

Ở đây chúng tôi đi ... Catalina đã ra ngoài, nhưng tôi đã tập trung vào việc Mojave chạy trên máy này.

giống như một lời nhắc nhở về thủ tục, tôi sẽ viết ở đây những gì tôi đã làm.

Mojave đang chạy trên cả ổ SSD GPT HFS + bên trong của tôi và APFS SSD bên ngoài (được quản lý để khởi động cái sau với enoch v2922 APFS beta v2 nhưng tôi không thể tự cài đặt nó vào phân vùng APFS):

• trước hết tôi đã thực hiện một bản sao lưu đầy đủ của hệ thống làm việc Sierra của tôi trên ổ cứng thứ hai
  • (cũng nhân bản toàn bộ hệ thống vào ổ APFS bên ngoài của tôi. Điều này không bắt buộc đối với cài đặt HFS +)
  • đã tải xuống ứng dụng trình cài đặt 10.14.2 với công cụ vá Mojave của dosdude1   (Tôi không thể khởi động 10.14.5 và trình cài đặt sau)
  • đã tạo một ổ đĩa cài đặt được vá theo hướng dẫn này từ @crazybirdy  với ứng dụng ở điểm trước
  • trích xuất tệp Kernel từ System / Library / Kernels trong Essential.pkg và đưa nó vào System / Library / Kernels vào ổ đĩa cài đặt
  • áp dụng smbios cho  MacBookPro7,1 (Tôi không biết liệu nó có thực sự cần thiết nữa hay không vì trình cài đặt đã được vá)
  • khởi động trình cài đặt (và chuyển đổi đĩa sang APFS trong trường hợp ổ đĩa ngoài của tôi. Điều này không bắt buộc đối với cài đặt HFS +)
  • cài đặt vào hệ thống trước đó (nâng cấp mà không gặp sự cố)
  • khởi động lại từ bản sao lưu Sierra và cài đặt cập nhật lilu / cập nhật-applealc / HS Nvidia kexts & từ xa  và sửa chữa các quyền S / L / E trên bản cài đặt 10.14.2 mới (nhờ ASentientBot )
  • khởi động mojave và config
  • cập nhật lên 10.14.6 bằng bản cập nhật kết hợp được vá bằng  macOS Patcher từ nhóm RMC  xem chi tiết tại đây  và tại đây (HFS + không nhận được cập nhật phần mềm trong tùy chọn hệ thống)
  • (APFS nhận được bản cập nhật thông qua các tùy chọn hệ thống nhưng tôi đã phải tải xuống 10.14.5 và cài đặt nó rồi 10.14.6 và cài đặt nó)
  • khởi động lại từ bản sao lưu Sierra và cài đặt HS Nvidia kexts, plugin từ xa và các gói khác vào hệ thống - khác một chút so với trước đây kể từ 10.14.4 và sau đó đã thay đổi hành vi của nvidia (pkg nhờ chris1111 nhưng chỉ chạy từ mojave)
  • MacBookPro5,2 ứng dụng lại và khởi động 
  • sửa lỗi trục trặc GUI bằng phương pháp chế độ kết hợp của spiramira

Kiểm tra những gì đang làm việc ngay bây giờ. Giữ nguyên

EDIT Có vẻ như khá ổn định cho đến bây giờ. Tôi sẽ đăng ở đây bất kỳ vấn đề cuối cùng sẽ xảy ra.

Tôi đang thử cài đặt clover mới vào ổ USB ngoài để thu thập kinh nghiệm. Hãy xem điều gì xảy ra ..

I am using an M6400 with Windows 7 running smoothly. There was a time when I tried Hackintosh and had great results in El Capitan. 80% of the work was done but I stopped. I'm glad you continue to work with passion. One day I will come back with instructions from you.

Thank you!
Sorry for my bad english.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 7:35 AM, hellearth said:

I am using an M6400 with Windows 7 running smoothly. There was a time when I tried Hackintosh and had great results in El Capitan. 80% of the work was done but I stopped. I'm glad you continue to work with passion. One day I will come back with instructions from you.

Thank you!
Sorry for my bad english.

Happy to read about it! I'll keep you updated. Still writing from this machine and 10.14

My english is bad too.. no problem here!

• 5 months later...
On 5/23/2020 at 1:46 AM, c0ke said:

Happy to read about it! I'll keep you updated. Still writing from this machine and 10.14

My english is bad too.. no problem here!

I am delighted to hear from you. I also hope that you will finish your work soon to share with me and the community. The M6400 is still something I really love and will still use for many years to come. Thank you very much!