SMBios for Haswell

Simonej

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm doing some test with a i5 4670k Haswell, I tried SMBios MacPro5 and iMac14 but I haven't noticed any difference in C-P States.

I read on Pike's website that some systems have " iMac14,2 (Haswell/FrequencyVectors) ", but what does this mean?

Which is the best SMBios for Haswell system for you?

Thanks

Simone

I own an haswell system and I'm using iMac 14,2 SMBIOS. Had to disable all C-states (C1E-C6-C7) to avoid freezes.

Got only 2 working P-states (8x & 35x) and Turbo states. So a partial speedstep. Maybe with the new MacMini SMBIOS we could have a complete speedstep.
I think we had to wait until devs find a way to enable powermanagent as it happened with IvyBridge....

Same situation with Macmini6,1 - iMac14,2 - MacPro5,1 8x,34x,+Turbo states, but iMac is haswell compatible!

But... what Pike means with " iMac14,2 (Haswell/FrequencyVectors) "?

What are speed step for real Mac (book,i, with haswell)?

I had to disable C-States because I got freezes with them enabled. How do you solve that freezes?

The most common reason to get BSOD and Freezes with a stock haswell  system and when i say stock i mean, all uefi settings set to default ,

is because of the c6-c7 states only..so you can disable those if you don't have a haswell certified PSU

-My suggestion is first disable c6-c7 only and set vcore to auto (default) and check for stability issues...

if its stable enough in windows and mac you can try to reduce it a little bit  OR if you don't want to mess with vcore just leave it to auto..

I personally got a couple of freezes when i reduced my vcore to 1.07 which was expected at the time, raised it to 1.08 and problem solved..

-Since all haswell chips are not the same you need to find your own values IF you wan't to reduce your stock vcore.

To find your offset value, run a cpu burn test (like prime95) and with vcore set to auto monitor your vcore value..If it is for example 1.2 under load

use an offset of (-0.100) to get to 1.1v then test for stability again..If it is stable at 1.1v under full load then leave it there...

I got many blue screens and freezes to find the best vcore for my chip and it needs time and patience..

Now im running both windows and mac without problems with all C-States enabled except c6-c7 and with reduced vcore (from 1.15v to 1.08) .

I hope i helped..

• Like 3

The most common reason to get BSOD and Freezes with a stock haswell system and when i say stock i mean, all uefi settings set to default ,

is because of the c6-c7 states only..so you can disable those if you don't have a haswell certified PSU

-My suggestion is first disable c6-c7 only and set vcore to auto (default) and check for stability issues...

if its stable enough in windows and mac you can try to reduce it a little bit OR if you don't want to mess with vcore just leave it to auto..

I personally got a couple of freezes when i reduced my vcore to 1.07 which was expected at the time, raised it to 1.08 and problem solved..

-Since all haswell chips are not the same you need to find your own values IF you wan't to reduce your stock vcore.

To find your offset value, run a cpu burn test (like prime95) and with vcore set to auto monitor your vcore value..If it is for example 1.2 under load

use an offset of (-0.100) to get to 1.1v then test for stability again..If it is stable at 1.1v under full load then leave it there...

I got many blue screens and freezes to find the best vcore for my chip and it needs time and patience..

Now im running both windows and mac without problems with all C-States enabled except c6-c7 and with reduced vcore (from 1.15v to 1.08) .

I hope i helped..

Maybe I found the solution: since my cpu is a K model, I had to enable vt-d. After that I re-enabled all the C-State and in one working day I didn't gol any freeze nor crash.

The undervolting thing is very intresting for me, but I had no experience and the new UEFI firmwares are so complex... I had to read some more before I damage something.....

PS: Are you using iMac14,x SMBIOS? Io yes, how about powermanagenent? For now I'm using this SMBIOS but I only got two P-States. (8x and 35x, plus Turbo steps).

Maybe I found the solution: since my cpu is a K model, I had to enable vt-d. After that I re-enabled all the C-State and in one working day I didn't gol any freeze nor crash.

The undervolting thing is very intresting for me, but I had no experience and the new UEFI firmwares are so complex... I had to read some more before I damage something.....

PS: Are you using iMac14,x SMBIOS? Io yes, how about powermanagenent? For now I'm using this SMBIOS but I only got two P-States. (8x and 35x, plus Turbo steps).

K model cpus dont support vt-d so it is not possible to have that enabled

• 2 weeks later...

The most common reason to get BSOD and Freezes with a stock haswell  system and when i say stock i mean, all uefi settings set to default ,

if its stable enough in windows and mac you can try to reduce it a little bit  OR if you don't want to mess with vcore just leave it to auto..

I hope i helped..

Hi MusicCode, why monitor Vcore with prime95? is best than BIOS Vcore monitor?. and do you mean 1.008V?.

i think you are right with your bios settings, my hackintosh is free of freezes by one day. Thanks.