Video card heats up while screen blank

TIMMAYOSX

3 posts in this topic

I have a 465GTX that works great, and have also updated AGPM for proper performance levels and the card stays cool like it should.

The problem comes in that when I lock my screen when I walk away (via hot corner), the video card ramps up to full power, and hits the 80c mark (vs 60c during normal use), and fans at full (loud) throttle.  All it's doing is blanking the screen, and am quite puzzled why it does this.  When I enter my password, it resumes the proper power management behaviour.

any solutions or updates to AGPM I should be aware of? 

I have a 465GTX that works great, and have also updated AGPM for proper performance levels and the card stays cool like it should.

The problem comes in that when I lock my screen when I walk away (via hot corner), the video card ramps up to full power, and hits the 80c mark (vs 60c during normal use), and fans at full (loud) throttle.  All it's doing is blanking the screen, and am quite puzzled why it does this.  When I enter my password, it resumes the proper power management behaviour.

any solutions or updates to AGPM I should be aware of? 

I used to have a similar issue with my 560ti only mine would get stuck at the high clock and require a reboot to slow down.

What are you using for a system identifier?  I'm using imac11,3.  Through trial and error I have discovered that if you are using an imac profile then you need to use a control-id 17 in your AGPM kext.  If you are using a macpro profile then you need to use a control-id 18.

I am using iMac 12,2, and have my control-id set to 16.  It seems as though power management is working in my card, as the clock adjusts appropriately.

I recently installed iStats, and after investigating, outside of the Video card's fan and temp, all other aspects remain in an idle state (low core voltage, low clock, etc.).

but I did find however, that my CPU gets ramped to the full clock, and voltage during screen blank which could be the culprit, though it's temp tends to stay low due to good cooling.

i have an i3, and any advice is more than welcome.  The CPU clock adjusts as it should under normal operation however.

My system log does show this however:

WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a

-- power management may be incomplete or unsupported