Hackintosh (1150, Z87) in plan. Advice appreciated!

Spastic

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new here. I have been reading the forums for a month now without an account and i figure it's time to jump in the band wagon. My understanding of Hackintosh is far from complete but i can't wait to start getting hands on! Looking forward to interacting with this community icon_e_biggrin.gif

Here are the system parts i plan on getting my hands on.

Graphic Card: Zotac GTX 770 4GB or Palit GTX 770 Jetstream 4GB ( Because i can use full cover ekwb on it )
Motherboard: ASUS Z87 Sabertooth or Asus Maximus VI Formula ( Initially opted for GA-Z87X-HD3 but it's not available in my country )
Processor: i7 4771 ( Just 10 bucks more from 4770 so why not )
Power Supply: Corsair AX 860i
Memory: AVEXIR Core White 1866 2 x 8GB kit ( It glows ^^ )
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Casing: Corsair Graphite 600T

Case mod: Corsair 600T Clear Window Panel by Mnpctech

And also I have a few questions,

1. GPU: Is GTX760 4GB or GTX 770 4GB supported or will it cause any issues?
  2. SSD: I read that the Sandisk ones doesn't require TRIM being enabled but I'm not really sure what is TRIM though.
    I heard that sandforce controllers are not really reliable, are there any alternatives that i can choose? I really like the Samsung 840 Pro after reading some reviews. 
  3. MB: I know that by using Gigabyte motherboard noobs like me can have a smoother processes of setting things up but i don't really like Gigabyte. Why does the Gigabyte motherboards makes things easier?

Looking forward to your insights and guidance.

1) Why not a Radeon 7970 GHZ Edition? It would cost the same or less than the 770 (which is a 680 rebranded) and would possibly outperform it. The Radeon 7xxx is pretty straightforward as long as you have Mavericks installed... 

2) Get the SanDisk!

3) RampageDev says that the Gigabyte board easiness is a myth, "Kool-Aid from the other site" (and the said site is, of course, Voldemort's). Rampage is wise and a skilled technician. On the other hand, i've set a bunch of hacks up now, and never had issues with Gigabyte boards, but plenty with any other brand...

All the best!

• Like 1

1) Why not a Radeon 7970 GHZ Edition? It would cost the same or less than the 770 (which is a 680 rebranded) and would possibly outperform it. The Radeon 7xxx is pretty straightforward as long as you have Mavericks installed... 

2) Get the SanDisk!

3) RampageDev says that the Gigabyte board easiness is a myth, "Kool-Aid from the other site" (and the said site is, of course, Voldemort's). Rampage is wise and a skilled technician. On the other hand, i've set a bunch of hacks up now, and never had issues with Gigabyte boards, but plenty with any other brand...

All the best!

1) Actually i wouldn't mind paying just a bit more for that extra 1GB of memory for GTX770, besides Radeon failed on me before and i left me a really bad impression.

2) Why SanDisk? And also i found this cool website while googling about SSD, is it any useful or is it just another "Kool-Aid" that you mentioned?

3) I am actually looking for a clean black PCB board with no coloured heatsink. the GA-Z78X-HD3 would suit me just fine but it's not available here in my country.

And also what are the advantages of using the latest mavericks as compared to mountain lion? I know that ALC1150 works on Mavericks and there will be future support for radeon but that's all i found upon searching.

Mavericks is faster (measurable, around 500 points in GB), supports the new iLife and iWork suites, two (or more, but i only tested two) independent monitors with full screen app support, tabbed and full screen-capable Finder windows and a few more features i cannot remember from the top of my head.

Mavericks is faster (measurable, around 500 points in GB), supports the new iLife and iWork suites, two (or more, but i only tested two) independent monitors with full screen app support, tabbed and full screen-capable Finder windows and a few more features i cannot remember from the top of my head.

Multi monitor is tempting!

oh, and your graphics cards will only work in 10.8.5 or 10.9 and updating ML to 10.8.5 can be a hassle

Thanks for the input, I'll go with 10.9 then.

What your really going to want to do is 1, just see if your hardware is compatible. Try to make sure it's compatible out of the box, even if you have to pay a little bit more. It just makes the experience more easier. 2, start reading about Kexts, modules, etc, because these might be needed to get curtain problems with OS X resolved. Hackintoshing is not really the hardest thing to do, it's just sometimes very time consuming and frustrating. Two other mental things you'll need is patience, and the ability to just take a breather and think about something if it's not going as you planned. Like I said, hackintoshing can be very time consuming so you need patience. And keeping a clear mind and taking a breather can be very helpful if you are stuck on something.